Paddy1000111

Groundie/climber current rates?

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

That's not my point, I mean people expect low prices because tree surgeons/arborists aren't looked at in the same way as a plumber/electrician. Whilst the training course isn't as long the initial outlay is a lot more and the costs going forward are a lot more too.

An electrician for example is one of the highest paid building trades yet all you need is basic construction tooling like drills, drivers, chaser, vacuum etc and a decent electrical installation tester and your away, you can easily buy a small van or run it out of a car. When I was doing a little bit of building working for a company as a gap filler between jobs most of prep work was done by us and the sparky put in the cables.

To be a tree surgeon and take on domestic jobs you need multiple saws, climbing kit, rigging kit, a van, a chipper etc. Suddenly moving forward you start looking at skid steers and bigger kit to get the job done. Even if you don't buy and instead rent you won't be competitively priced if you're hiring in a chipper at £150 a day and a skid steer at £180. Aside from training, the actual cost of being a tree surgeon is a lot more than any other trade except maybe groundworks and other big kit companies and the overheads are a lot more unless you are stocking loads of gear in the van as a sparky. 

Given all that, people expect to pay good money for a sparky but want a tree surgeon at almost minimal wage 

You need to stop thinking of our services as a commodity; that's just a race to the bottom. Think of yourself as a luxury that people look forward to spending money on and build a business around that assumption. 

• Like 3

I do, and I like to think that I provide that, and my feedback from customers and companies that I have freelanced for has supported that so far! 

To be honest I'm not really worried about rates or struggling, I'm not sure how we got to this point 😂 only thing I get annoyed by is giving a quote to a customer and them saying that another guy has quoted a rock bottom price so I've just wasted my time, fuel and effort going there. Not fussed about the loss of work itself!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I do, and I like to think that I provide that, and my feedback from customers and companies that I have freelanced for has supported that so far! 

To be honest I'm not really worried about rates or struggling, I'm not sure how we got to this point 😂 only thing I get annoyed by is giving a quote to a customer and them saying that another guy has quoted a rock bottom price so I've just wasted my time, fuel and effort going there. Not fussed about the loss of work itself!

I suppose my point really is that you shouldn't worry what the current going rate is, but that makes the whole thread a bit pointless doesn't it. 

1 minute ago, Retired Climber said:

I suppose my point really is that you shouldn't worry what the current going rate is, but that makes the whole thread a bit pointless doesn't it. 

Well no, I only intended to get a clearer image on what I should expect to pay for more people on bigger jobs!