Groundie/climber current rates?

Paddy1000111

When I said having humility, I meant everyone on here has some experience whether they are climbers/groundsmen. Business owners, you can’t know everything and be the absolute best compared to everyone here, that was my point in mentioning humility. Otherwise it borderlines narcissism, which we all have in our personalities, however if unbalanced can be unhealthy. 

Just asking for guidance as I wasn’t sure if I was being unreasonable asking for pay once the work was completed (small firm)
If it's a small firm then there's everything else to do as well as pay you, maybe the admin all gets sorted once a week. To me I wouldn't think 7 day payment terms unreasonable, although when I have subbies myself I do try to pay on the day.

@Rhyanna96

In 12 years as a freelance contract climber in the Uk, I never had a written contract with any company.  Sure, we discussed what was expected and how I would be recompensed but it was never written down.  Only had one guy in all that time knock me for 3 days work.

Usually I would be paid by the next week.  Some on the day, a few took longer to pay, that is where a good dialogue come in:  some small companies have cash flow issues.  Talk to them, if they are a good firm they should be open and you can discuss alternate payment terms.

Also, I would consider not using the term Subby.  This has been done to death on here and can lead to issues later on.  

Are you really a Bonafide Sub contractor?  Or a freelance employee?  I think you fall into the latter.

Government SE websites can help you determine the exact status of your employment.

I realise some companies have more kit than others.  Smaller companies might be well equipped or not.  It is up to you to find a good group of companies to fill your working week.  Once you do and have a decent working relationship then go the extra mile for them, hopefully they will reciprocate.  Might take a few years but eventually you will work out who to avoid and who to put their names in your diary.

Don’t mean this to come across as rude but one of your previous comments irked me a bit.  Speaking of humility, no one likes a smart arse.  

Telling someone far more experienced that they are doing stuff wrong isn’t really going to win friends and influence people.  At the end of the day it is their company and you can make suggestions but really it is their choice how the job is done.

Good luck with everything, it is all experience and even if someone is crap at their job, look at it as though at least you have learnt and seen how NOT to do a job.  Again it is all experience.

Edit: never burn your bridges, however much you disagree with someone or a company.

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

@Rhyanna96

In 12 years as a freelance contract climber in the Uk, I never had a written contract with any company.  Sure, we discussed what was expected and how I would be recompensed but it was never written down.  Only had one guy in all that time knock me for 3 days work.

Usually I would be paid by the next week.  Some on the day, a few took longer to pay, that is where a good dialogue come in:  some small companies have cash flow issues.  Talk to them, if they are a good firm they should be open and you can discuss alternate payment terms.

Also, I would consider not using the term Subby.  This has been done to death on year and can lead to issues later on.  

Are you really a Bonafide Sub contractor?  Or a freelance employee?  I think you fall into the latter.

Government SE websites can help you determine the exact status of your employment.

I realise some companies have more kit than others.  Smaller companies might be well equipped or not.  It is up to you to find a good group of companies to fill your working week.  Once you do and have a decent working relationship then to the extra mile for them, hopefully they will reciprocate.  Might take a few years but eventually you will work out who to avoid and who to put their names in your diary.

Don’t mean this to come across as rude but one of your previous comments irked me a bit.  Speaking of humility, no one likes a smart arse.  

Telling someone far more experienced that they are doing stuff wrong isn’t really going to win friends and influence people.  At the end of the day it is their company and you can make suggestions but really it is their choice how the job is done.

Good luck with everything, it is all experience and even if someone is crap at their job, look at it as though at least you have learnt and seen how now to do a job.  Again it is all experience.

First class post. 

For Rhyanna - you’re quite right with opinion / asshole reflection. 

As I have to remind the Mrs, if I wanted her to have an opinion, I’d tell her what it needs to be....  🤣

Depends who I'm freelancing for, one company I'm on 30 days, I don't mind that because I buy gear off them and don't get invoiced for it for 30 days. Another company pay me on a Friday when they run the wages for their PAYE staff, others pay me on completion of the job. Private work I invoice at the end of the job and get payment before I leave site. There isn't a one size fits all way of getting payment.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Rhyanna96 said:

@Retired Climber sub contracting, invoice at the end of the day. Unless working a full week I usually expect to be paid at the end of the day, after the invoice is sent..

I pay my sub-contractors within 24hrs of receiving the invoice. But generally it is 7x days from receipt of an invoice.

Edited by Jamie Jones

Just asking for guidance as I wasn’t sure if I was being unreasonable asking for pay once the work was completed (small firm)

I get customers to agree to a 7 day payment term as a clause of accepting my estimate. This is just so they know what i expect. Legally it has no standing as legally you have 28 days to pay an invoice. If agreed in a contract you can then start penalising them for late payment..

There are two types of subbie. Bonafidie sub contractors. They bring their own tools, carry their own risk and work under their own insurance.

Labour only sub contractors.

They carry no risk, don't usually supply tools and work under the contractors insurance.

Alot of my work is in building. Some arb related(all ground work, no felling) . If i employ a plumber or electrician on a building job they would be Bonafidie and I would expect at least one week to pay from receipt of invoice.

Of i employ an occasional labourers or someone to help me on a fallen tree dismantle prior to Milling it, then they are employed as labour only.

I usually only employ one of 3 guys for this.

I will ask him during work if he is desperate to get paid and if so will pay him cash or transfer at the end of the day to help out and he will send me an invoice after. but i much prefer to get an invoice and have 7 days to pay and wouldn't like money to be demanded at the end of every day.

• Like 2