Groundie/climber current rates?

Paddy1000111

1 hour ago, Rhyanna96 said:

No contract? But I’m considering putting a clause in my invoice of monies to be paid where due within 24 hours of invoice.

I've never seen an invoice to be paid within 24 hrs, 30 days very common and some I've seen 7 day payment invoices. I usually get invoiced at end of month by those working off and on during the month, casual workers putting in the odd day I'm happy to make a payment within 24 hrs if that's what they want. I do not work myself a second time for those that don't pay on time, builders I have found are particularly bad.  Sometimes you may not get paid at all if a firms goes under, twice I have had firms go bust still owing me money but at least if you have invoiced them you can set that lost against tax. As time goes on you get to know who to work for and who to avoid, most householders pay straight away I find but I know of one instance of someone that just would not pay.

Here we go........retired climber, I should of expected this when joining a thread you have posted on......I'm trying to say that yea have a contract but at the end of the day it means nothing if they don't pay you.no doubt you will shoot me down again...you are like the man that shit himself.....he knows all about it. People like you are never wrong, clever as the days is long...nice one. I've only been back a day and you just rub me and countless others up the wrong way..adios...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Hodge said:

Here we go........retired climber, I should of expected this when joining a thread you have posted on......I'm trying to say that yea have a contract but at the end of the day it means nothing if they don't pay you.no doubt you will shoot me down again...you are like the man that shit himself.....he knows all about it. People like you are never wrong, clever as the days is long...nice one. I've only been back a day and you just rub me and countless others up the wrong way..adios...

I'm not trying to shoot you down, I just don't think that saying a contract isn't worth anything is useful to the OP or anyone else. A contract is incredibly useful when it comes to collecting money owed; nothing more, nothing less. 

Edit. Have you noticed that those who I "rub up the wrong way", are always those who say something stupid, then get in a strop when I don't agree with them? 

Edited by Retired Climber
  • Haha 1

I would suggest that each person/company you work for you you send an email to with your t and c and ask for a response that it has been received. 

Things that are useful to write down. 

Full name and address. 

Any medical conditions ie, allergic to something and have to have an EpiPen. 

Emergency contact

Bank details for payment and terms. 

Day rate and how many hours you will work within that rate inc breaks. 

What your costs are if you end up working overtime. 

Cost if the job gets cancelled last minute and you are sent home. 

List of qualifications and what you will bring to site. 

These are just a few and its worth having a think what you would like to Inc. 

I think its a really good idea to be up front with anyone that you contact. 

• Like 6

Edit. Have you noticed that those who I "rub up the wrong way", are always those who say something stupid, then get in a strop when I don't agree with them? 

You do rub people up the wrong way (and I should know…). I don’t mind much because your contributions are usually pretty well considered, however brusquely put, but it is possible to be uncompromising and still convivial.
  • Like 3

Also important to have humility and accept everyone has their own experiences and each persons opinion/experience should be valued and taken on board. I like hearing everyone’s opinions and experiences so I can take what I’ve learnt and do what I think fits for me and how I see things to be as professional as possible so I can avoid getting into disputes for those firms I work for. 

6 minutes ago, AHPP said:

You do rub people up the wrong way (and I should know…). I don’t mind much because your contributions are usually pretty well considered, however brusquely put, but it is possible to be uncompromising and still convivial.

I take your point. 

3 minutes ago, Rhyanna96 said:

Also important to have humility and accept everyone has their own experiences and each persons opinion/experience should be valued and taken on board. I like hearing everyone’s opinions and experiences so I can take what I’ve learnt and do what I think fits for me and how I see things to be as professional as possible so I can avoid getting into disputes for those firms I work for. 

Whilst I see your point, I don't agree. I only really post on subjects about which I would consider myself an expert, or at least those in which I have a great deal of experience or expertise. When someone then posts a load of poorly thought out nonsense which contradicts my point (whilst at the same time being full of holes), I tend not to sugar coat my objection. 

I don't lack humility (far from it in fact), but I do admit to not suffering fools gladly.