Groundie/climber current rates?

Paddy1000111

7 minutes ago, Rhyanna96 said:

Slightly off topic, but chasing people for invoices and the general rule on payment where monies are due? 

I don't lift a finger until I've been paid in full these days. However, for most business transactions it's dictated by whatever is in the contract. If you were subbing, we'd need to see a copy of the contract and T's and C's before telling you how to proceed. 

Are you sure you were a bonafide sub contractor, and weren't just a cash in hand worker who should technically have been on the books? 

Just now, Rhyanna96 said:

No contract? But I’m considering putting a clause in my invoice of monies to be paid where due within 24 hours of invoice.

There is always a contract; it doesn't need to be written. 

Anyway, if no agreement was made before hand, you'll just have to negotiate when it gets paid. 

Nothing written on an invoice after the fact will be legally binding. You need to contract prior to acceptance; there's no point adding clauses to an invoice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rhyanna96 said:

@Retired Climber thankyou for the advice. 

The long and the short of it is this. Get yourself some terms and conditions written, and get them signed before you do any work. That way, you've got something to fall back on if people mess you about. 

Do make sure you are actually a self employed contractor though. 

No contract? But I’m considering putting a clause in my invoice of monies to be paid where due within 24 hours of invoice.

You can write a contract that says your payment terms are at the end of the day but that does not mean the person you are contracting for will abide by said contract.....I hear story's of subbies round my way waiting weeks for £120.....it's a piss take imo. I pay my guys on completion of the work they were brought in to do. I then wait for the money off the customer.....I charge enough that this is worthwhile and I also have a good overdraught!!
Contracts mean nothing. I have payment terms on my invoice of on completion of agreed work, but when I'm doing commercial work they expect you to adhere to their terms of 30days take it or leave it.
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, Hodge said:

You can write a contract that says your payment terms are at the end of the day but that does not mean the person you are contracting for will abide by said contract.....I hear story's of subbies round my way waiting weeks for £120.....it's a piss take imo. I pay my guys on completion of the work they were brought in to do. I then wait for the money off the customer.....I charge enough that this is worthwhile and I also have a good overdraught!!
Contracts mean nothing. I have payment terms on my invoice of on completion of agreed work, but when I'm doing commercial work they expect you to adhere to their terms of 30days take it or leave it.

Having a contract is still a good idea.