Groundie/climber current rates?

Paddy1000111

On 16/02/2021 at 12:57, Paddy1000111 said:

I know this has been discussed a few times and I've read through all those threads but there's nothing too recent or applicable to me because of location. Long story short I'm trying to create a better business plan and factor in costs etc and manpower seems to be the biggest variable.

What are you guys paying per day for a decent freelance groundie and a decent climber. I've had guys help me for £80pd who were great and ones who were £160pd and rubbish so I get that it's variable hence why I was wondering what you would be happy to pay for someone who's prompt, works hard, has their own kit and tickets etc. Let's say a groundie who has all the kit, experience rigging, all the climbing courses for rescue etc and a climber who's all of the above and works at a good speed? Obviously good workers who aren't on their phone and can converse with clients etc etc.

I'm in the south west so some input from guys closer would be good too as I know the pay varies a lot with geographic location! 

Where in the south west are you bud? 

If it makes any of you feel better I'm trying to get onto courses for my climbing tickets at the moment and every training provider you ring is fully booked for months in advance, it seems everyone out of work due to Covid has decided now is the time to realise an ambition to become a tree surgeon so there's likely to be lots of fresh blood bolstering the ranks this year I'd say.

I'm planning on getting all my own kit and offering my services to all the local firms and one/two man bands I know, but unsure how to price a days labour given I'm going to be slow and green starting out climbing. I've been using a ground saw for years though and have other skills to bring to the table (driving, towing, machines and mechanics) so I'm hovering around the £90 a day mark at the moment which looks almost too cheap given some of the comments here. 

• Like 1

If it makes any of you feel better I'm trying to get onto courses for my climbing tickets at the moment and every training provider you ring is fully booked for months in advance, it seems everyone out of work due to Covid has decided now is the time to realise an ambition to become a tree surgeon so there's likely to be lots of fresh blood bolstering the ranks this year I'd say.

I'm planning on getting all my own kit and offering my services to all the local firms and one/two man bands I know, but unsure how to price a days labour given I'm going to be slow and green starting out climbing. I've been using a ground saw for years though and have other skills to bring to the table (driving, towing, machines and mechanics) so I'm hovering around the £90 a day mark at the moment which looks almost too cheap given some of the comments here. 

Get rec climbing whilst you wait to do the course, gets you confident being up there and you will find the course easier and learn more if you have the basics.

Can you afford to work for £90 a day covering your travelling to various firms and potentially direct to site.
As a good ground guy with basic climbing skills you should be over £100 just be honest with your abilities when talking to firms.
  • Like 2

You anywhere near melton mowbray?? [emoji23][emoji23]

1 hour ago, Darkslider said:

As long as you get a good spread of clients and manage some climbing jobs with a fair groundie - you can get a more proficient climber in on the odd job you would struggle with . Its abt a good customer base ( no good being a fab climber but with no work ) K

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, allseasons said:

You anywhere near melton mowbray?? emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I've noticed you've upped the rate for the job you've advertised, is the £150-£200/day on the books, or for a freelancer?

Lovely part of the country you live in, I used to spend a lot of time around Whitwell... not a million miles away.

1 hour ago, Darkslider said:

If it makes any of you feel better I'm trying to get onto courses for my climbing tickets at the moment and every training provider you ring is fully booked for months in advance

That may also be due to covid. I know my local supplier is down to only 2 candidates a course from the usual 4 because of the rules and they are pushing their guys through as they are advertising for more staff. That being said my local company has spaces on courses!