Pick ups any preferences?

GLynch

37 minutes ago, GLynch said:

I've seen some solid looking trucks for around the 4k mark but mileage tends to be around 120,000+ 

I know the makes that I'm looking at should all have pretty good engines but I don't know how much more life they would have in a 100,000+ engine 

I guess if it's only been used domestically it should have plenty left 

I'm not too clued up on pick ups really

No expert when it comes to trucks but when I got my 09 Hilux it had done around the 100000 mile mark. Asked if this was a lot of miles on the Hilux owners group and the general consensus was that it was just run in! 

I hear of more trucks being scraped due to rusted chassis than dead engines 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 2

I’ve had a 2014 single cab l200 4work from new. I only brought new as it was a similar price to second hand as the model was changing and the dealers had surplus stock so managed to get a very good deal. It’s served me well and never ever missed a beat. I’d buy another l200 when the need arises and have been well impressed with it. I just make sure I service it every year without fail, just the usual oil and filters even though I only do about 6,000 miles a year and hopefully this will see it going for many more miles. As somebody else said I’d look at a variety of makes and make a choice on condition, history and mileage

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Anything  Euro 5 or less .  Once you start getting into AddBlue and DPF regen cycles it can get expensive . 

My dad had a navara just for every day use and the dpf kept clocking up he had to take it for a run down the motorway to clear it

1 hour ago, GLynch said:

Ah ok so checking the chassis is just as important as the actual engine

Very important in my experience,  I had a 2007 ranger with perfect mechanics at 110k miles snap in half with rusty chassis and 2009 l200 with only 75k miles also buggered with rust! I wish they would coat the chassis properly at the factory.

The names a give away but Hilux are great.
You will find their used prices are stronger than the others so you will be looking at an older truck. For your money a tidy mk6 could be found. That will be everything you need. Ultra reliable. I’ve done a few mods with my hilux and it’s such a good do it all car.
Currently running at 240 bhp so fairly pokey too [emoji106]

The 3.0 ranger old shape is also a great vehicle. You’ll find a nice wild track model for your upper budget.

The curve ball is old Isuzu rodeo 3.0. Like the old ranger a little lower on ground clearance but a great truck none the less.

You won’t go wrong if you find a good one of any of these.

• Like 1