At work today

gary112

On 22/06/2022 at 21:02, Doug Tait said:

On a Wednesday I usually have a day off from tree work and do my own stuff. Part of it is looking after a stretch of river bank and adjacent ground, its on the River Tweed with fishing rights and Southern Upland Way walking route.

A couple weeks back Scottish Water sub contractors came to fix the leaking sewer pipe unannounced. Having damaged a tarmac driveway and 2 trees while unloading their digger, the work took 2 days. I saw it when strimming today and it makes me angry.

End result is a section of smaller diameter pipe pieced in but unsupported and leaking both ends, and they've damaged the original pipe above the repair which has become the new outlet, leading to a pond of shit water and wet wipes on the river bank. The landowner has complained but no response yet.

It's ridiculous they can treat our Rivers like this.

DSC_1595.thumb.JPG.214749111e4e6091eb59c9be486204ad.JPG

DSC_1596.thumb.JPG.f0c899b685aca05174f3706544cbd23b.JPG

DSC_1600.thumb.JPG.e4a740cd71b148d646aa491e7c4cefa9.JPG

DSC_1602.thumb.JPG.93a843cf410db34605ff62347b1f231d.JPG

Well, the botched sewer pipe repair on the river Tweed has had another visit to fix it properly.

The fix consists of burying the bad work with some soil dug off the banking beside it, which I imagine will wash away when the river rises.

They've left the stinking, shitty wipes lagoon as is.

DSC_1619.thumb.JPG.780f93c3beef25a4761568b9d7190c28.JPG

DSC_1620.thumb.JPG.897abdf53b8643623c53b7dacf159558.JPG

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Well, the botched sewer pipe repair on the river Tweed has had another visit to fix it properly.

The fix consists of burying the bad work with some soil dug off the banking beside it, which I imagine will wash away when the river rises.

It looks like Butch and Sundance did that job, as its a right cowboy job, you could not write it could you,,

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

It looks like Butch and Sundance did that job, as its a right cowboy job, you could not write it could you,,

A mate of mine who was an Engineer with Scottish Water until recently tells me the Contractor that would've done both these jobs would've been classed a Tier 1 Contractor, meaning the most compliant, professional outfit covering Scotland!

He said he'd often suggested to his boss that they'd be better with a local guy who took pride in his work.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

He said he'd often suggested to his boss that they'd be better with a local guy who took pride in his work.

I expect most of us who were self employed contractors came across this where we were not able to tender because we were not on a council list but all the contractors that were just complied with the paperwork and subbed the work out. Indeed I ended up working seven years for such a company and was flabbergasted at the pricing because of the overhead the office staff caused. Yes there was little to no pride in the job, the gangmasters we used just took the money and did the least they could get away with.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2022 at 21:54, Doug Tait said:

Another installment of the Sewer Pipe repair saga if interested. 

The landowner emailed our MP, John Lamont.

Following day SEPA carried out a site inspection, two days after this the landowner received an email from Scottish Water to inform them this issue will be rectified immediately by replacing a Holding Tank which is operating beyond its capacity, lining or renewing the complete sewage pipe from tank to outlet, and upgrading equipment at the local Pumping Station.

SEPA have also told them to remove the shit lagoon from the river bank.

Hopefully it ends up as a small victory.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Another installment of the Sewer Pipe repair saga if interested. 

The landowner emailed our MP, John Lamont.

Following day SEPA carried out a site inspection, two days after this the landowner received an email from Scottish Water to inform them this issue will be rectified immediately by replacing a Holding Tank which is operating beyond its capacity, lining or renewing the complete sewage pipe from tank to outlet, and upgrading equipment at the local Pumping Station.

SEPA have also told them to remove the shit lagoon from the river bank.

Hopefully it ends up as a small victory.

Well thats a bit more like it, had dealings with SEPA in the past and TBH they where not that bad to deal with unlike our EA south of the boarder who seem to be a waste of time and thats if you can get hold of any one who knows what there doing ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Well thats a bit more like it, had dealings with SEPA in the past and TBH they where not that bad to deal with unlike our EA south of the boarder who seem to be a waste of time and thats if you can get hold of any one who knows what there doing ?

I've heard quite negative things about the EA before. SEPA seem at least to be flexing some muscle now, but I think our MP should take the credit.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...