Conservation Area Specifications

Treerover

Does anybody not discuss an impending S211 with the TO?

As a TO I am aware of the good contractors in my area, and well as bad, and I always encourage a conversation before the submission then if I know about it just advise to email me. Certain situations I don't even go on site, just email back saying that the Council has no objection. If I have confidence in the ability of a contractor to do the job right and advise the customer correctly then I am less likely to get involved. 

Obviously there are times when I need to inform neighbours, ward Cllrs PC's etc and ask for comments but generally speaking I have made up my mind as to the outcome.

As a Council Officer I do not want to make life difficult for anyone and by working with decent contractors that makes all our lives easier. This also frees up more time for me to deal with idiots!

• Like 3

On 12/02/2021 at 14:17, Treerover said:

Can anyone shed any light on what is the acceptable and legal way to specify the specification of a crown reduction?

I have just had a 211 notice returned as ‘Invalid’ after 3 weeks (🤬) post submission as the planning officer has asked for it to be specified in ‘metres to be removed ‘ rather than my submitted spec which was a 25% reduction to strong lateral growth .

I’ve never had this before .

Surely unless it states on the form that all measurements must be in metres , then my original submission must stand as valid ?

What does the panel think emoji848.png🧐

If possible, change the spec to metres and ask council to accept it as an amendment to original notification.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nimby said:

Does anybody not discuss an impending S211 with the TO?

Your LA must have an enviable call pic-up rate to make that work. 

Hereabouts, you’d likely spend 10-30+ minutes in a call queue to LA general number, then get redirected to forestry team auto-answer machine which would say leave a message and someone (might) get back to you within 10 days. 

Its just not practical to add another 2 weeks to the admin - and shouldn’t be necessary if notice is full and detailed. 

Whilst one might have direct mobile numbers for TOs, would never consider s211 notice warrant use of direct line.  Proper emergency maybe, but not s211. 

As a TO I am aware of the good contractors in my area, and well as bad, and I always encourage a conversation before the submission then if I know about it just advise to email me. Certain situations I don't even go on site, just email back saying that the Council has no objection. If I have confidence in the ability of a contractor to do the job right and advise the customer correctly then I am less likely to get involved. 

Does your LA register s211 notice and allocate a planning application number?

Obviously there are times when I need to inform neighbours, ward Cllrs PC's etc and ask for comments but generally speaking I have made up my mind as to the outcome.

Could you explain how the process ‘works’ in regard to decision making in your situation. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2021 at 09:07, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Your LA must have an enviable call pic-up rate to make that work. 

Hereabouts, you’d likely spend 10-30+ minutes in a call queue to LA general number, then get redirected to forestry team auto-answer machine which would say leave a message and someone (might) get back to you within 10 days. 

Its just not practical to add another 2 weeks to the admin - and shouldn’t be necessary if notice is full and detailed. 

Whilst one might have direct mobile numbers for TOs, would never consider s211 notice warrant use of direct line.  Proper emergency maybe, but not s211. 

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. My office and mobile number are on my email sig. I encourage tree contractors to speak to me with any tree issues they have. The Government also encourages this practice.

Does your LA register s211 notice and allocate a planning application number?

Yes, of course. If it's sent direct to Planning it is logged and forwarded to me. If it is an email direct to me I make sure it is logged with Planning Support. 

Could you explain how the process ‘works’ in regard to decision making in your situation. 

In receipt of s S211 i will go and have a look and make a decision based on what I find. If required (a tree of interest) I will talk to the tree owner/contractor and maybe any other interested parties, PC's Tree Wardens etc and either let them know of what I think or take their comments into consideration prior to the outcome. 

• Like 1