Help with firewood barn

the village idiot

Just now, the village idiot said:

Hi Paul,

Yes, I'm fairly sure we will be reducing the eaves height to 5mtrs.

We were planning on getting quotes for wooden and steel frame construction. Is this something that you do?

I don't, but have been roped in on a couple of builds and roofed a large barn many years ago for someone i know that someone else had started and got it a bit wrong.

You could try QMS they were near me but moved to Bromley. They were always rushed of there feet but if I  needed something welded or drilled they were always happy to help. 

• Like 1

IMG_6041.jpg
We built two like this, the main beams old telegraph poles and all the roof beams and cladding milled from larch and Douglas .. main beams held together with hangers.
1” gaps on the cladding... was pretty easy and satisfying. About a week on each with three of us , I was milling whilst the others did the beams and then kept the cladding coming and caught up and helped them finish to put that on.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, MattyF said:

IMG_6041.jpg
We built two like this, the main beams old telegraph poles and all the roof beams and cladding milled from larch and Douglas .. main beams held together with hangers.
1” gaps on the cladding... was pretty easy and satisfying. About a week on each with three of us , I was milling whilst the others did the beams and then kept the cladding coming and caught up and helped them finish to put that on.

Lovely job!

How was your airflow with those 1" gaps in the cladding?

It dries wood ok as long as you have filled them for June! , The only problem we have has been having water coming through the floor on on that particular barn and turning some logs black.
The other is for hard wood and a lot more open fronted... a lot more light getting in and drying wood is quicker in summer.
To be honest I’m thinking of using IBCs as we store wood for two years before processing in to the barns so have just brought 50 to see if I can get green wood from tree surgery waste down in a year as an experiment.

• Like 1

There is a product called Ventair which is great for vertical cladding on sheds.  Its box profile with louvres, so it's strong, easy to install and gives good ventilation.  I have been in a friends large log store on a wet and windy day clad with this stuff and it works well!  It's probably pricey, but may be worth considering.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MattyF said:

IMG_6041.jpg

Any more pics Matty? Looks like the uprights along the low wall just magically float there in mid air. You made great use of the existing walls there.

Any more pics Matty? Looks like the uprights along the low wall just magically float there in mid air. You made great use of the existing walls there.

It was slightly modified since to support the weight of logs.. There are boards over the wall but with 3” gaps for air flow. IMG_4588.jpg
  • Like 1