Help with firewood barn

the village idiot

17 minutes ago, Mrblue5000 said:

Louves as doors, a pair to each bay might be too complicated but would give you the best of both worlds. Open them for access with the tractor and good weather, close them when it’s wet. Do you have a band saw tvi?

Yes, I like the option of having the front of the bays open or closed. Not sure if I can see myself producing louvered doors though. Possibly something less substantial.

I don't have my own mill at present although I do have experience of all the different types. I am seriously considering a Lucas though.

• Like 1

By having bays you can use or sell the oldest most seasoned first. You could separate finer grained hardwoods which take longer to season into separate bays.

I used plastic pallets for the base which allows air to rise through the stack, but stops damp rising. By using a black roof you will generate heat at the top which will encourage airflow to percolate under the pallets and through the stack. I also put a gutter in and discharge the rainwater into blue plastic barrels which are interconnected and over flow from one to the other. Moving the rainwater away in a gutter stops it dripping and splashing back onto the lower logs. Cut the top off the barrels using a saw, turn the top upside down and you have a lid which stops leaves falling in and allows you to get inside the barrell to install a garden tap and hose.

See below my log store which is on a much smaller scale, but the same principles apply.

Good luck with your build.
IMG_20181003_075626.jpeg

• Like 3

I think having pairs of doors to each bay is a very versatile option as Mrblue says.
As off-putting as a bit more complication sounds don't let it put you off what's gonna work best for you.
When I mentioned louvered sides I meant as walls but no reason they can't be used as doors.
The extra timber will make them heavier though so might be best to get softwood slats or ranch boards or feather edge boards from a timber supplier.
You could use something similar to the Outer String on a staircase to fix the louvres onto.
Screenshot_20210213_125458_com.android.chrome.jpeg

• Like 1

An understanding of your local weather is really important. Here if you had large doors they would be a nightmare when it's windy which is a lot of the time and probably unusable the last few days. In a well sheltered spot they might work well

Something I didn't mention on my other post is we didn't carry the cladding right down to floor and stopped it around 400mm up. This also aids ventilation 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Danny Boy said:

I think having pairs of doors to each bay is a very versatile option as Mrblue says.
As off-putting as a bit more complication sounds don't let it put you off what's gonna work best for you.
When I mentioned louvered sides I meant as walls but no reason they can't be used as doors.
The extra timber will make them heavier though so might be best to get softwood slats or ranch boards or feather edge boards from a timber supplier.
You could use something similar to the Outer String on a staircase to fix the louvres onto.
Screenshot_20210213_125458_com.android.chrome.jpeg

Nice bit of thinking with the outer string from a staircase. 

Potential bay doors are going to be pretty huge (at least 5mtrs by 6mtrs) x6 in number so if I go with any sort of barrier it probably needs to be fairly light and low tech.

Beau makes a good point about knowing weather conditions. I am in the driest part of the country and the barn has it's back to the prevailing winds. It is also quite a sheltered spot as it is in the middle of the wood.

You're right, huge doors like that would be a bit trickier especially with windy days.

On that case if you're quite happy that the weather conditions you mentioned are pretty stable for you then have the entire walled section at the back where the logs are kept (facing the wind) louvered & just leave the front open. [emoji1]

• Like 1

If you load from the end you will loose a large % of your storage as access path.

Load from the side & every m2 is usable for storage.

Large over hang with gapped paneling, pref louvered (but costly) or Yorkshire so you stop virtually all driving rain.

Fit proper drainage channels under the paneling / just inside so it cant pool into shed.