Lifting Tongs / Hookaroon - Worth Getting?

Witterings

Are lifting tongs or a hookaroon worth getting and if so is one better that the other or some sort of combination like a pair of one or the other or one of each ..... or is it just quicker / easier to use your hands?

One advantages I can see is not having to bend over quite so much which can do your back in after a bit.

They'll mainly mainly be used for lifting / moving approx 4.5 ft lengths around and without having used either I would have thought a pair of tongs would possibly be best using one to drag a length across rougher ground and a pair when you want to pick it up / load on or off a trailer.

• Like 1

2 pairs of tongs for me...saves a lot of bending, saves your back...or 1 pair and a pick.

After getting this gear [years ago now] I never looked back...they become arm extensions that you can't imagine doing without...two pairs of tongs are better on 2 fronts in that you're more balanced side for side if you're dragging plus also if you're lifting up in front of you.. I found that using only you're dominant hand all the time is really bad for the spine, better to keep your back straight by lifting on both sides.

I've used Stihl and Husky which are fine.. but the Oregon ones are better opening nearly 3" more at 265mm which makes all the difference.

Having said that , these look like they open to 300mm.... I might need to get a pair...cheers.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 12 Inches 300MM Log Carrier, Log Tongs, Log Lifting Hook, Timber's Tongs for at the best online prices at eBay! Free...

3 hours ago, Macpherson said:

2 pairs of tongs for me...saves a lot of bending, saves your back...or 1 pair and a pick.

After getting this gear [years ago now] I never looked back...they become arm extensions that you can't imagine doing without...two pairs of tongs are better on 2 fronts in that you're more balanced side for side if you're dragging plus also if you're lifting up in front of you.. I found that using only you're dominant hand all the time is really bad for the spine, better to keep your back straight by lifting on both sides.

I've used Stihl and Husky which are fine.. but the Oregon ones are better opening nearly 3" more at 265mm which makes all the difference.

Having said that , these look like they open to 300mm.... I might need to get a pair...cheers.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 12 Inches 300MM Log Carrier, Log Tongs, Log Lifting Hook, Timber's Tongs for at the best online prices at eBay! Free...

The tongs in the Ebay advert you posted are totally crap, i bought a 2 pair deal of ebay about 18 mth ago for some young lads to use as they where £12 a pair and £12 was enough for them to loose compared to £40 a pair for the husky ones which are far better than any others i have used , these of Ebay are very soft metal and i am not joking, if you pick a log up and sneeze they bend and twist,,,

Edited by spuddog0507
spelling
  • Like 2

I have the Stihl Tongs. Very good bite and as others have mentioned hard to imagine not having them. But they are a bit on the small side and logs that I personally find I could happily lift with a bigger set of tongs have to be hand-balled onto the Splitter.

I also have a small Stihl Hookeroon. Again, another great product and one I’ve come to use more often than the tongs now. Especially as you can hook and lift bigger logs than with the Stihl Tongs.

Both have their place though. I use the Tongs more if the logs are at my feet and the Hookeroon for logs that are in less easy access.

• Like 2

Good set here, pick what ever you like to use.  i was going to buy cos thanks to new tarif Brexit - wont bother  😕 K

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

1 Stück Stammwender-Sägebock FORSTO100. Stammwender, Stammheber und Kettensägebock in Einem. Das Holzmacher-Komplettset zum günstigen Vorteilspreis! Robust und Langlebig...

Edited by Khriss