Inverter for use with Stihl AL 500 Charger

Billhook

Surely for a charger pure sine wave is a little excessive? They aren't super intelligent, they just control charging based on temperature and pack balance. If it was going to be running tv's, induction motors, amplifiers etc i.e. things that would be sensitive to noise I would say need pure sine wave but a charger that converts AC to DC internally and not overly efficiently won't see much of an improvement with a pure sine wave. Personally I would go with a modified sine wave converter as you haven't got to worry about hum or efficiency with a basic charger like this (compared to an amplifier or PC). Rated wattage is 0.6kw so a 800-1000w modified sine wave inverter like the ones from durite which are a respectable brand would fit the ticket for around £200. 

Excluding losses-

600w at 230v= 2.61A 

2.61A@230v= 55.23A @12V dc.

So you could get one charge from a 110ah 12v battery assuming you're using the 1000 battery, the 3000 battery would need a ~150ah battery. You could use a split charge system and a deep cycle battery to keep it seperate from your main start battery to ensure you never run flat. Other, probably more reasonable system is to buy a micro-super quiet generator. Personally I wouldn't run it on the van charging with the engine running, it isn't good for the van, especially with the new emission systems. It would probably cost more to charge off the idling van than it would to charge from a little genny

The Matbro has enough room in the battery compartment for another similar sized one ( 960 If I remember)

so I now like the split charge relay idea ( thank you Openspaceman) as I am generally doing a lot of work with the Matbro, carrying logs, pushing brash, supporting hung trees and releasing trapped saws. The Matbro has quite a big alternator as well.

45 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Surely for a charger pure sine wave is a little excessive? They aren't super intelligent, they just control charging based on temperature and pack balance. If it was going to be running tv's, induction motors, amplifiers etc i.e. things that would be sensitive to noise I would say need pure sine wave but a charger that converts AC to DC internally and not overly efficiently won't see much of an improvement with a pure sine wave. Personally I would go with a modified sine wave converter as you haven't got to worry about hum or efficiency with a basic charger like this (compared to an amplifier or PC). Rated wattage is 0.6kw so a 800-1000w modified sine wave inverter like the ones from durite which are a respectable brand would fit the ticket for around £200. 

Excluding losses-

600w at 230v= 2.61A 

2.61A@230v= 55.23A @12V dc.

So you could get one charge from a 110ah 12v battery assuming you're using the 1000 battery, the 3000 battery would need a ~150ah battery. You could use a split charge system and a deep cycle battery to keep it seperate from your main start battery to ensure you never run flat. Other, probably more reasonable system is to buy a micro-super quiet generator. Personally I wouldn't run it on the van charging with the engine running, it isn't good for the van, especially with the new emission systems. It would probably cost more to charge off the idling van than it would to charge from a little genny

Chargers as much less efficient on modified waves than sine wave.

More heat produced per watt consumed so less in to the battery.

The AL500 is also not just a dumb charger like for your car bat.

I agree a small genny seems the best way. Also good for the kettle ;)

My earlier calcs were based on the 300s battery.

• Like 1