Inverter for use with Stihl AL 500 Charger

Billhook

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

Oooh if you've got a generator you could buy a 12v charger to keep the Matbro battery topped up.

Maybe not.

Don't think I will be using the Matbro battery with an inverter if the Kawasaki generator has enough guts  to work the Stihl charger

Will report my findings.

The idea of running an engine just to charge batteries seems a bit odd unless you're really stuck. Just get some more batteries or a petrol saw.

With a bit of farting around you could charge 36v (so 42v charge) off 12v dc.

Maybe in a few years time butcher an old charger!

Well the Kawasaki generator which I thought was 800 watts turned out to be only 550 watts and the charger needed 570 watts so it kept tripping

I bought the 1100 watt inverter from Krieger, against good advice, thinking that German may be better than Chinese, (but it is probably made for the Germans in China!)

I have a good tractor battery and connected it to the inverter and it worked the Stihl charger and charged the Stihl battery without any apparent problems.

I will see how many charges I can have out of one full tractor battery.  If it does drain more than I anticipate, I can always jump lead it to a running motor.

2 hours ago, MrNick said:

How about setting up the spare battery as a leisure/second one allowing it to be charged when your vehicle is running. Draining it shouldn't affect the main vehicle battery so still allow you to get home.

Yes a split charge relay will only cost about 15 quid and that will isolate it when the vehicle ignition is off.

3 hours ago, MrNick said:

How about setting up the spare battery as a leisure/second one allowing it to be charged when your vehicle is running. Draining it shouldn't affect the main vehicle battery so still allow you to get home.

Good thinking, that is what Arbtalk is all about!

• Like 2

On 11/02/2021 at 21:42, Billhook said:

I have a good tractor battery and connected it to the inverter and it worked the Stihl charger and charged the Stihl battery without any apparent problems.

I will see how many charges I can have out of one full tractor battery. 

If it does drain more than I anticipate, I can always jump lead it to a running motor.

The problem with this  approach is you wont know you have killed the battery till the inverter cuts out at about 10v instead of stopping at 12.2v ish.

Roughly not allowing for large load on a small battery effect you should get 2.5 charges from a 110ah battery that is fully charged. 

Your going to have a 40 ish amp load. 

I would limit it to two charges to be sure & even then you are pushing the battery hard.

Use a deep cycle one not a started battery.

If jump leading it make sure you up the revs as tickover is not enough to charge.

Split charger is a good idea to ensure you arrive with a full battery. But it wont recharge one during the day without being on for a long time, so run engine on all charges not just when you see volts are low.

Size split charger for max draw.

Voltage sensitive split chargers are much better than alternator bat+ controlled ones.