Seasoned Beech that has "spalted" Beech as firewood.

cessna

On 08/02/2021 at 22:15, cessna said:

I have quite a bit of Beech 2.5mtr long cordwood that has spalted in the middle due to it being in a stack for about 2yrs,and not split,bad management on my part!!

Due to all the rain we have had it is quite wet ,in your experience will it dry out quite quickly when logged up, that is assuming relative humidity is lower than t 90% plus, (unfortunately the Hygrometer I have just bought and put in my processing is registering in the high 90s most of the time)!!!!!!

Off topic .How the Woodsure  gurus think one can keep logs at 20% with RH in the High 90s I dont know, but when you are working in a nice office at 20c in front of a computer one can work wonders ,rant over.

At the end of June 2020 we split 3.5 solid m3 of old spalted beech at rideside which was in 1m lengths x 55cm dia and raised off the ground for 2 yrs. The wood was converted into 25cm long logs <15cm dia then stored in well a ventilated shed and 7 months later average moisture content is now 23% but had it had a full drying season it would probably have been down to <20%. Spalted beech is burning at <23%  but not brilliantly would be better best at <20% also beech which isn't spalted in my experienced seems to burn better but spalted beech burns okay when dry. 

In reply to second part of question it can be difficult to maintain MC at <20% outside, it needs to be ideally to be moved inside at the end of summer/autumn in this country although some wood in covered crates drys well outside can be <20%, billets stacked and covered outside that were <20% at the end of summer is now >20% on average.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vedhoggar said:

At the end of June 2020 we split 3.5 solid m3 of old spalted beech at rideside which was in 1m lengths x 55cm dia and raised off the ground for 2 yrs. The wood was converted into 25cm long logs <15cm dia then stored in well a ventilated shed and 7 months later average moisture content is now 23% but had it had a full drying season it would probably have been down to <20%. Spalted beech is burning at <23%  but not brilliantly would be better best at <20% also beech which isn't spalted in my experienced seems to burn better but spalted beech burns okay when dry. 

In reply to second part of question it can be difficult to maintain MC at <20% outside, it needs to be ideally to be moved inside at the end of summer/autumn in this country although some wood in covered crates drys well outside can be <20%, billets stacked and covered outside that were <20% at the end of summer is now >20% on average.

Many thanks for your reply. Very roughly where  are you situated in the uk.