Hard/Softwood

Styx

The "we must have hardwood" argument is a good one for us who are happy to split, dry and burn softwood but not so good for those who cut trees.  It means the price of softwood is low and in some cases just dumped for free.

Yes softwood takes more space and involves more splitting but it also dries faster and generates more or less the same amount of heat weight for weight (dry weight).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ontario Firewood Resource said:

More bang for your buck. Hardwood is dense and gives off more heat so you are lifting amd loading less. 

That depends on what you have. I wonder how something like larch would compare to poplar or willow? I would rather process and burn larch. (Or more likely mill it and use around the garden).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ontario Firewood Resource said:

More bang for your buck. Hardwood is dense and gives off more heat so you are lifting amd loading less. 

It is a trade off.  If I were paying for dried logs I might go for hardwood.  If I'm getting arb arisings then most tree surgeons will keep the hardwood for their own uses (selling for firewood for example) but the softwood is hard to get rid of.  That means that those of us that are happy to put in the hours processing the softwood others don't want, pay very little for it.  Regarding "bang for buck" you can't get much better.

Last year I got two large trees dumped at mine for free that were being taken down opposite my house.  Tree surgeon saved a couple of trips to base and I get free firewood (only cost is the electricity to run my saw).  I generally do donate something for my wood but the cost is minimal compared to paying for processed logs.

Rob

P.S. I agree with reloading times, I try to find some hardwood if I need to keep the fire in but leaving the logs larger can also help increase the time between re-loads.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2021 at 18:45, Styx said:

I have tried our local tree surgeons registered on the tip site page but no luck !! Is there anyone close to Norwich that can supply me with 5 - 8 tons of wood? My neighbour and I both have woodburners and he also heats his hot water with it. We don't mind softwood as we have space to season till next year and I realise there will be a cost involved. I f you can help us out let me know.

Thanks

PS We are not expecting logs just lengths we can split ourselves.

Big John

What do you mean by you've tried the tree surgeons registered on the tip site page?

4 hours ago, Ontario Firewood Resource said:

I disagree . The calorific  value of wood/weight  is pretty much the same . So a big old lump of dense Holm oak or Hawthorn will give off more energy than the same size lump of say Spruce but the soft wood splits easier , is usually " gun barrel " strait so always processor friendly so quicker to convert . In fact I would say Larch  burns hotter than most hard woods if a little quicker .  I mix it with hard wood some times but don't think hard wood is actually " more bang for your buck " when all things are considered .  Just me .

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got chatting to a local who I had never met before. Turns out he has a 200 acre estate, 10 minutes from me, and he asked if I wanted to clear some fallen trees. Went down yesterday, loads of fallen oaks some already in rings and 20 or so ash trees. About 50 ton in all. Firewood for the next few years. !!!!!!

• Like 10