Gravel grids

andy cobb

I need to create a bit more hard standing in my yard but I don't want to dig out the grass and soil and fill with stone as its registered as grazing land and if its picked up on annual inspections it would have to be reinstated.

I'm thinking of grading the grass/ soil as best as possible then laying membrane down and using gravel grids filled with 20/25 mm stone.

It's only for stacking full ibcs on so not a lot of traffic.

Has anybody any experience of using grids? Will they stand up to a 5 ton forklift running over them?

Just want to stop it turning into a swamp next winter

Cheers- andy

Our whole front garden is gravel grids covered with, well gravel they are easy to fit, goof type 1 or sub base need three cars on and off daily, states they can take lorries up to 25 tons no problem, also used for shed bases as keeps air circulating, sounds ideal for your situation.

12 hours ago, andy cobb said:

I need to create a bit more hard standing in my yard but I don't want to dig out the grass and soil and fill with stone as its registered as grazing land and if its picked up on annual inspections it would have to be reinstated.

I'm thinking of grading the grass/ soil as best as possible then laying membrane down and using gravel grids filled with 20/25 mm stone.

It's only for stacking full ibcs on so not a lot of traffic.

Has anybody any experience of using grids? Will they stand up to a 5 ton forklift running over them?

Just want to stop it turning into a swamp next winter

Cheers- andy

Andy I would avoid gravel as its always on the move, not too bad in grass grids laid on top of a substantial sub base in a driveway that's used for cars,  it wont work on membrane laid straight on top of grass with a five ton forklift scuffing around on it. Have a look at Protectaweb , good for 44 ton trucks and pulls up easily when you need to take it up, probably cheaper as well. Go for angular stone , it self interlocks and stays put, top it of with  planeings or scalpsIMG_2463.thumb.JPG.90f5dbe7b08187070a560deb978126b5.JPGIMG_2530.thumb.JPG.3c29a43bde796b555c1f9751a14c0829.JPGIMG_2531.thumb.JPG.a23e41e98eea864d553ca4aadb2a70e0.JPG

Edited by aspenarb
  • Thanks 1