Small cordless chainsaw: Stihl MSA120/140 Vs DeWalt DCM565

MisterBoy

Question

I have a half acre with woodland and keen to maintain myself where possible. I already have a Stihl petrol saw and long reach polesaw but am after a small cordless saw for quick jobs.

Most of my power tools are DeWalt XR so the DCM565 is an option as I have the batteries.

I also have the electric Stihl HLA 65. I like Stihl so the MSA 120 or 140 are tempting, the battery isn't cross compatible but the charger is.

I don't want to buy into a 3rd ecosystem and the DeWalt body-only is virtually the same as the Stihl with a battery.

Are there any major differences between them or is it just down to preference? I appreciate these are probably low end for pros!

I’ve a 120 which for general pruning and trimming is excellent and good for light tree work. Reliable and easy to keep clean. Battery is a bit pricey tho.
Best I saw was 50 quid for the AK10, 75 for the AK20. Am I right thinking nobody makes 3rd party batteries? Saved a bundle on DeWalt XR that way.

Plenty of knock of makita batteries and there cordless saws etc are ok.

Surprised no stihl ones yet suppose its still a smaller niche than the 100's of tools  & esp the drills that are so common that fit the dewalt and makita ones

Edited by Stere

Plenty of knock of makita batteries and there cordless saws etc are ok.

Surprised no stihl ones yet suppose its still a smaller niche than the 100's of tools  & esp the drills that are so common that fit the dewalt and makita ones
I wondered if it's a patent thing... Last I checked you can get 3rd party DeWalt XR but not flexvolt.

4 hours ago, MisterBoy said:

By the way that reminds me not seen one vote for the DeWalt. Is it that clear-cut or is it simply that ARB guys automatically go to Stihl and Husky?

If Dewalt battery saws were good, people would use them. Quite a few are using Makita battery saws (and petrol saws).

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

When I was looking the chain speed on DeWalt was very low, but I'm not aware of them making any professional chainsaws.

The other decent battery saw around is Echo.

Just looked at the Web page, from what I can make out the biggest battery they offer is 4ah. For anything serious, my ego 18" saw at 56v gets through 5ah batteries in a very short time. 10ah is about perfect. The 14" with a 5ah battery is nice for smaller jobs where extra mobility is an advantage. 

Saws with an aperture to accept the battery are always going to be limited, capacity wise. Perhaps this is why ego decided to sling the battery underneath?