Lantra LOLER Course and Assessment Advice Sort

Jamie Jones

Has anyone here done the Lantra LOLER course and assessment, that qualifies you for doing LOLER inspections of Arborist's climbing equipment?
I would be grateful if you could tell me what is involved and is it a hard course to get through, with lots of theory? 
Any advice is most welcome.

RiggingPic-01.JPG

It’s one of the harder courses IMO to pass and rightly so. However if you have a good understanding of rigging and climbing equipment and a decent amount of industry experience then you’d be fine. You aren’t expected to know about every piece of kit on the market but if you don’t know the difference between a climbing rope and a rigging rope then it’s maybe not for you. There is a fair bit of legislation to get through as well as calculations such as MBS, SWL, WLL etc. Download the NPTC schedule and have a read through it. Start keeping all of the docs that come with the various ropes, leave, pulleys etc so you have the info you need on hand.

It’s probably not the most exciting course you’ll do and inspecting kit after kit after kit isn’t the most fun but you can earn money from it and supplement your income.

Just ingrained in me by this point. Saws on top of ropes is like nails on a blackboard for me. Plus I've spliced enough of that TRex to know it will catch on bits of rough skin, a chain near it it gives me the jitters.

Each to their own though

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JaySmith said:

It’s one of the harder courses IMO to pass and rightly so. However if you have a good understanding of rigging and climbing equipment and a decent amount of industry experience then you’d be fine. You aren’t expected to know about every piece of kit on the market but if you don’t know the difference between a climbing rope and a rigging rope then it’s maybe not for you. There is a fair bit of legislation to get through as well as calculations such as MBS, SWL, WLL etc. Download the NPTC schedule and have a read through it. Start keeping all of the docs that come with the various ropes, leave, pulleys etc so you have the info you need on hand.

It’s probably not the most exciting course you’ll do and inspecting kit after kit after kit isn’t the most fun but you can earn money from it and supplement your income.

I have done my climbing, rescue, Chainsaw from Rope & Harness, Rigging and MEWP Courses and I have a years experience....
I have kept and filed all documents that came with my kit...
The main reason for doing it is because it is a struggle to get my kit inspected, then there is the down time traveling for it to be inspected and then collected, loss of income with the added costs of the inspection as well.

3 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

Just ingrained in me by this point. Saws on top of ropes is like nails on a blackboard for me. Plus I've spliced enough of that TRex to know it will catch on bits of rough skin, a chain near it it gives me the jitters.

Each to their own though

I see your point, but no rope was harmed in the making of that picture🤣 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Pete Mctree said:

I think you may struggle to fulfill the role with your limited experience. Having a few years using and abusing kit teaches you more about its functionality than anything else. 

I also had a number of year rock climbing as well. so there is probably 4x years of climbing in total.
I am also a fairly practical person as well, who has taken engines apart and rebuilt them. So I am not green to looking after equipment. Surely if you have the right and good instruction then that is what matters.
The reason for asking is because if there are areas I need to sit-down and read up on stuff, then I would like to do as much as possible prior to the course and assessment...

• Like 1