Fencing cost

Liam54

I bought a one man petrol auger years ago & it's great. A 2nd hand Mitsubishi one for £100.
When they work, they work great but they do get stopped by roots & bigger stones & then you just remove whatever obstacle by hand or pinch bar & carry on.
Also agree on getting your timber from a timber & dedicated fencing supplier (I'm lucky enough to have 2 within a few minutes of me). The builders merchants seem more expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

Got one on order and two bits coming with it. The chap at the Saw Centre wasn't sure what 4 mix was all about. I was lead to believe you need to mix 4 stroke oil in the petrol rather than 2 stroke. 🤔

Nope normal quality 2 stroke oil at 50:1, such as stihl HP super or husqvarna XP or redline

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2021 at 08:52, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I'm going to get one of those Stihl BT 131 but what size of bits? I was looking at the 60mm and 120mm.

That means ur only putting an inch or so of concrete round posts!

I don't know any fencer with a hand held auger, used tractor 3 point linkage, digger and bobcat mounted augers bloody great things on a machine. Althou usually on big security fencing jobs so good access.

Must admit a digger bucket cut down works just as well too

When a hand held works well u could probably hand dig a hole pretty quick too, a decent sharp spade, sharp pinch ( and a chopping pinch) and shuvholers take a bit off beating and just get stuck into it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drinksloe said:

That means ur only putting an inch or so of concrete round posts!

I don't know any fencer with a hand held auger, used tractor 3 point linkage, digger and bobcat mounted augers bloody great things on a machine. Althou usually on big security fencing jobs so good access.

Must admit a digger bucket cut down works just as well too

When a hand held works well u could probably hand dig a hole pretty quick too, a decent sharp spade, sharp pinch ( and a chopping pinch) and shuvholers take a bit off beating and just get stuck into it.

I think you may have misunderstood the idea. The way I've done it is to drill say a 4" hole with the petrol auger, and then bash a 6" post into the hole. Makes the knocking in so much easier. No concrete or postfix used. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peter 1955 said:

I think you may have misunderstood the idea. The way I've done it is to drill say a 4" hole with the petrol auger, and then bash a 6" post into the hole. Makes the knocking in so much easier. No concrete or postfix used. 

Hand augers it possibly depends on ur local soil conditions, like I said I've never ever heard of a fencer using them. Locally don't think soil lets them work that we'll and on the few occasions it does work well it obviously good digging anyway so ur digging holes in no time.

I don't do much fencing nowadays as mainly full time on saw but last 2 jobs  done for the local contractor was 900m of palisade and 5000m of hill stock fencing all hand balled. Both jobs he got me in purely to hand dig holes as digger couldn't get to quite a few on the palisade and no machines could get near that hill fence ( including argocats, tracked argocat and haaglunds, and tractor with full twins)

Think spent 3 weeks off 10hr days just digging and packing strainers in

He has all the toys and machines u can think off, has some real good kit yet hasn't got a hand auger. If they were any good those jobs would off paid for it themselves.

U mean a strainer for stock fencing?

U've lost me otherwise.

Wot are u using 6" posts for in garden fencing.?

Been involved with most types off fencing for 30 odd years don't think ever used a 6" square post for anything

If ur knocking a square posts in do u not have problems with them turning?

Esp if garden fencing when everything has to be smack on.

Even with a big hole augered I'd be surprised if u got it tight enough knocking by hand.

Only ever used or heard of augers used when larger so u can concrete around the post, but usually security or crash barrier work.so hole is a specific size each time, as meant to be to meet BS standards esp for crash barriers

Althou I have used rock drills ( high powered air similar to oil rig drills) and clay drills ( high pressure water jets) similar to how ur talking about it, in Oz for strainers for vineyard fencing but only coupled with a post chapper and in extreme hard ground, ground would already have been ripped with a big dozer.

Many modern top end post chappers can come with rock spikes, which are just a 4" metal spke