Professional Tree Inspector day rate?

lum8erjack

I have been a tree surgeon for almost 20 years now and I am currently studying to do my PTI course and hoping to "branch" out (excuse the pun) to start a new path and move away from climbing eventually. 

If I am successful with the PTI I have some worked lined up through someone I know. 

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who can tell me what the going day rate is for carrying out Tree Inspections / surveys? (just a ball park figure) so I know what to go in with once I pass. 

Any info would be appreciated. 

Thanks Ross

• Like 1

Just now, Chris at eden said:

What other qualifications do you have?  PTI is great but it would ideally be under pinned by an L3 qualification. Also, a lot of companies want risk assessed using QTRA. Where are you based?  What areas can you cover?  

P.s. would you be working as a stubby sorting your own tax?  Using your own insurance or theirs?  

I have pretty much all practical NPTC tickets. Also did my LOLER inspection a few years back  and also went for my Tech cert L3 a few years ago and passed the law and management parts but wasn't successful with the biology exam. Then not long after they scrapped the L3 so that was that. (So unfortunately did obtain the full qual)

I will be sorting my own Tax and have to ask the questions about the insurance etc. 

I'm based East mids (Ashby)but travel the Birmingham at the moment most days so will cove a wide area. 

• Like 1

@lum8erjack  hmmm, abt how long is a piece of string really,  am similar to you and  get 200 quid a day for surveying an area of various specifications for a contractor  or 80 quid an hour from particular jobs, condition or habitat specs, in Midlands might be worth joining a consultants team that could push up yr experience? K

7 hours ago, lum8erjack said:

I have pretty much all practical NPTC tickets. Also did my LOLER inspection a few years back  and also went for my Tech cert L3 a few years ago and passed the law and management parts but wasn't successful with the biology exam. Then not long after they scrapped the L3 so that was that. (So unfortunately did obtain the full qual)

I will be sorting my own Tax and have to ask the questions about the insurance etc. 

I'm based East mids (Ashby)but travel the Birmingham at the moment most days so will cove a wide area. 

As a starting point you will be looking at £150 a day.  Up to around £200 but you will need L4 min for that.  You would get 45p a mile on top for travel.  I have a lad who does subby work for me at £200 a day plus travel. He has L6 and years experience as a TO.  

if you had L3 I could probably pass you a bit if work here and there.  Can’t promise anything as we are covering everything at the moment but summer I am usually picking and choosing stuff.  Not sure how COVID will impact either. I do quite a bit in Notts, Leicester and Northampton.  Have you done 5837?  QTRA?  

4 hours ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I was on the other forum saying that maintenance companies charge £600 a day and they all took the p1ss out of me. I knew this when the church I was working at got a quote to fit a folding stair which was already there and no material was involved. Its hard for a company to charge less with all their overheads. Mechanics are at least £50 an hour so its heading in that direction.

I charge management companies £500 ish a day. But it covers a lot more than just the surveying.  If I use a subby I still go through it and edit and approve.  Then there is advertising and all that, CPD, etc.  My admin persons wage. It all adds up.  

They obviously add a bit on to that.   I have one client where I am the third subby in the chain.  £600 a day isn’t ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, Khriss said:

@Scottish Cleaning Service its wether you love trees or not, wont make yr millions in this. Trees always been my passion fr over 40 yrs. Am comfortably off from it but wont be buying a golf course out of it. K

It depends at what level you work at. Top expert witnesses are £180 an hour.