First aid kit

Jacktrades

1 minute ago, Jacktrades said:

Hi all,

Looking for a decent and comprehensive first aid kit recommendation please. The kits are for small teams of three people. 

Cheers

I make my own up from internet medical sites for a fraction of anything shop bought, and better. Ex army supplies to have packs to house personal kits, I have a Pelican case in the truck that is properly stocked as a squad kit with Tourniquets/Woundclot Guazes/Icepacks etc

• Like 2

As above, you're best to make up your own. Ammo boxes, peli cases or anything that can take some abuse make a perfect case. 

Go to medisave or medtree or any of the big suppliers and first buy a first aid kit refill pack as that covers your requirements as an employer.

Add to that two (in case one breaks) CAT or swat-t tourniquets, some haemostatic gauze (2 or more- I quite like woundclot 8x20 as it's the best trade off of size and price), a couple of ice packs, some 20ml saline eye pods as the big bottles are pointless because you chuck 90% away as they don't seal back up and aren't meant to be re-used, you can also use these for flushing crap out of small wounds. Also add some micropore surgical tape or some of the tape stitches (steristrips) and maybe one of the foam roll up splints. 

Having all that covers you for the basics, the tourniquets and haemostatic gauze cover more industry specific stuff. Those little pods of eye wash are always handy because walking around with a bit of dust in your eye is massively inconvenient and having lots of little pods means you can just use them if needed instead of it being a massive deal to open the eye wash station big bottle. The micropore surgical tape or the little tape stitches are super handy for small cuts that won't stop bleeding as you can pin them closed which plasters won't do. 

There was talk about climbers first aid kits having to have haemostatic gauze in them as well in the future. Personally the kit on my harness has it and I added one of those 20ml tubes because I have had to come down out the tree before as a bit of dust went through the visor and stuck under my eyelid. Something I could have sorted myself if I had one of those tubes. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jacktrades said:

Thanks both, great advice all round. I'm ordering now.

Last time I did a work first aid course the company that did the courses were pretty good for supplies and would make up specific kits  to your needs ie the required by law plus what you are likely need the price was good and they were nice guys heavily involved in St John’s and had plenty of handy tips like carrying face shields  with 1 way valves for giving cpr etc 

if your on either end you will want a good one! 

WWW.SAFETYFIRSTAID.CO.UK

CPR face shields protect the rescuer from infection whilst performing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. They also provide a barrier against vomit and other bodily fluids which may be...

Edited by HDAV

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Jacktrades said:

Does anyone have any experience with these? 

https://www.medisave.co.uk/e-fab-hard-hat-emergency-kit.html

Not the contents but the helmet placement aspect - wonder if it might be easier to get at if injury occurs up a tree?

Depends on your helmet I suppose. would be useless for any of the Protos ones or ones with a filling. Better off with it on your harness. You could end up in the tree without a helmet if it gets taken off on impact or you get caught up and undo your chin strap but if you're in the tree without a harness you're probably not in the tree anymore. Other issue I could see is fumbling up pulling it out your helmet and then dropping it, you're f'd then...

• Like 1

I talk from real-time experience outside of arb situations but in realtime trauma as first responder type situation we need to be realistic. Heavy uncontrolled bleeding, falls leading to compromised airways, serious burns are my personal top 3 within arb so I equip myself to deal with these equipment wise. Then less major events follow. Thankfully we have the NHS to back us up when things go wrong, hopefully. So I would make sure that your first packs have the essential bits of equipment to deal with such situations.

• Like 1