Transit tipper stuck on the last section of ram

hsibley

2007 transit tipper, just bought and all hydraulic wiring has been tested and wired correctly. Goes up fine, but on the way down stops at the last sections of the ram. Single acting system, sounds like a sudden stops, as if it is blocked by something. Any help appreciated.

Give it a chance...it's a Ford 

10 minutes ago, Stihl123 said:

i have something similar happening, it'll go up fine, come down and it'll come down a foot or so, then stop, turn it off and on again and down another foot keep doing that till it's down

any ideas. i've not clue! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hsibley said:

2007 transit tipper, just bought and all hydraulic wiring has been tested and wired correctly. Goes up fine, but on the way down stops at the last sections of the ram. Single acting system, sounds like a sudden stops, as if it is blocked by something. Any help appreciated.

Has this got a scatolini tipper? If so, jihad the same issue on my cabstar. It would come down so far and just stop, I could jump up,and down in the back and it would eventually go down. I had scatollini come out to it to fit a new ram in the end, but when  he inspected it, he realised the bearings at the bottom of the ram were seized. The base of this needs to move back and forth as the angle of the ram changes, and as it was jammed, it stopped it going down. Lots of lubrication and moving back end forth freed it.

It's actually a sealed bearing so was somewhat surprising that it had happened!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Has this got a scatolini tipper? If so, jihad the same issue on my cabstar. It would come down so far and just stop, I could jump up,and down in the back and it would eventually go down. I had scatollini come out to it to fit a new ram in the end, but when  he inspected it, he realised the bearings at the bottom of the ram were seized. The base of this needs to move back and forth as the angle of the ram changes, and as it was jammed, it stopped it going down. Lots of lubrication and moving back end forth freed it.

It's actually a sealed bearing so was somewhat surprising that it had happened!

its a FleetTip tipper, but the bearings being seized seems viable. But we've literally had winch on it trying to pull it down whilst the controls are being held, and it doesnt budge. 

16 minutes ago, hsibley said:

its a FleetTip tipper, but the bearings being seized seems viable. But we've literally had winch on it trying to pull it down whilst the controls are being held, and it doesnt budge. 

That sounds more like a solenoid failure.  Worth calling fleettip for advice

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

That sounds more like a solenoid failure.  Worth calling fleettip for advice

Yeah we'll give them a call tomorrow. Would a solenoid failure cause it to consistently fail at the same spot? even though it goes up perfectly and down perfectly until that specific spot. I'm not sure but someones coming to look at it later this week so hopefully they'll have an idea.

Crack the pipe off (either ram or pump end) if it drops it will be pump/solenoid related. If it’s makes no difference it’s ram end you need to look at.

make sure you are under the truck not lent over the chassis rails and under the body, if it drops suddenly it could cut you in half!

you will need to catch the oil that spills. 

• Like 2

Doesn't sound like a typical solenoid failure, but rather than opening the pipes you could try applying a strong magnet (something like a welding clamp one) to the side of the solenoid, which should open the release valve.  The ram goes up by pressure from the pump but comes down purely by gravity when the release valve is opened.

• Like 1