New forestry saw 70cc class

Sirius

I've not have many problems with the 572 that haven't been self inflicted.  Ran over it for example.  Good saw in my opinion, well balanced, pulls either a 20" or 24" bar.  I like it.  I have heard of one or two problems with them, but they seem fairly good in the most part.

Only ever had a shot of either the 462  and the 500i.  Both good saws. 462 was running 0.63 chain which made the bar and chain seem very heavy to me, perhaps because I'm used to the Husky being on 0.58.  500i was a belter, but only used it for a day on demo.  Some folk have had nothing but problems with them, others have had no bother at all, think it depends a little on your luck.

I have a Dolmar 7910, lovely saw, always put a smile on my face using it but in the longer term it hasn't stood up to use too well.  Parts and service for it are a problem here as there's no local dealer that knows one end of the saw from the other.  Shavey is good though for these, never had any problems dealing with him.

Don't know much about Echo, like their wee saws, but the big things seem heavy and antiquated in design to me.  Never used one of their big saws though, so can't really comment beyond impressions of them sitting on the shelf.  Don't know any commercial cutters who use one though, so that kind of speaks for itself?

If I was looking to replace the 572 it would be a straight race between another 572 and a 500i and I'm not sure which would win.

• Like 1

Echo is ordered, collect it this week, pretty excited to be honest.

I hear nothing but positive stuff about this saw.

It was a choice twixt Dolmar and Echo...and Echo won.

Husky and Stihl are just not my bag,  i am not sold on the tech and premium price of stihl.

So let's see how the Echo it does in the woods over the next few months..👍👍 that's the real test.

Cheers for input everyone.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Sirius said:

Echo is ordered, collect it this week, pretty excited to be honest.

I hear nothing but positive stuff about this saw.

It was a choice twixt Dolmar and Echo...and Echo won.

Husky and Stihl are just not my bag,  i am not sold on the tech and premium price of stihl.

So let's see how the Echo it does in the woods over the next few months..👍👍 that's the real test.

Cheers for input everyone.

good choice u will love it run a fair few tanks through it and she really opens up there very tight from factory u will need to give it a tune after its run in but its an awesome saw built to last 

I love my 462, especially with a West Coast Custom exhaust mod.

However,I also really love my little Echo CS501SX, and had I had that before the 462 I may well have tried an Echo instead.

That said, the Stihl is a fair bit more powerful for a good deal less weight. But I like the Echo 2 year commercial warranty. Stihl warranty is barely worth a wank.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

However,I also really love my little Echo CS501SX, and had I had that before the 462 I may well have tried an Echo instead.

That said, the Stihl is a fair bit more powerful for a good deal less weight. But I like the Echo 2 year commercial warranty. Stihl warranty is barely worth a wank.

Is the west coast muffler worth it then?

16 minutes ago, doobin said:

Yes the warranty is worth it in my book. 

On 03/02/2021 at 08:33, Paddy1000111 said:

I had a crack with a 500i the other week and really liked it. Really good throttle response and screams. The guy who owned it said he hasn't had an issues with it at all and it had seen a fair bit of use being filled with a stihl press to fill can and nothing was cracked (although I didn't inspect it). 

All saws have their issues. The autotune saws had issues with the solenoid and filters but that was sorted. The feedback on the 500i seems pretty solid in favour of it! 

Only thing I would say about the 500i is the AV mounts are very soft so it makes the saw feel "flimsy" even though it's not. 

I saw on Instagram the other day that West Coast Saws are doing some kind of beefy looking upgraded AV mount for the 500i.