Poll on two rope technique.

Mick Dempsey

Are you using the new two rope technique when you climb?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Are you using two rope technique when you climb?

• Yes, nearly all the time.
    • Almost never.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/02/21 at 16:57

25 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I wonder sometimes if you have the ability to discuss things with people normally? 

My point was if you have an anchor in the tree and your other anchor has fallen you're going to have a rough ride but you will be strung between the two if they're connected to your rope bridge or to a bridge ring? It's not experience it's just logic? 

But by all means, throw a hissy fit? I'm not getting shitty with anyone, that's on you.

I very much doubt that is going to happen! Will you bounce up and down and make a cartoon twangy noise then be catapulted into oblivion like wile e coyote? :)

• Haha 2

Just now, Mesterh said:

I very much doubt that is going to happen! Will you bounce up and down and make a cartoon twangy noise then be catapulted into oblivion like wile e coyote? :)

Like I said, rough ride 😂 

I'd prefer getting thrown around, maybe breaking an arm than being dragged 50ft to the ground by a 1 tonne weight though...

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Have a look at that AA report I posted a page or so back, most of the falls were caused by improperly tied knots, no end stop knot, clip in failure or cutting the rope with a chainsaw. 

Of course something happened, but the question I’m posing is not what happened but why?

When you start out and you’re scared and out of your depth you make mistakes and poor decisions.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Of course something happened, but the question I’m posing is not what happened but why?

When you start out and you’re scared and out of your depth you make mistakes and poor decisions.

Add onto that bosses/guys who have more time in the saddle telling you how much better they are than you and how much quicker and more experienced they are and you have a good mix for an accident 😕

' Yes I have actually 60ft beech was probably the biggest so far. ' wow. Always  heard about forum opinions but still genuinely amazed paddy you offer yours so forthrightly. No ill will meant. Good luck with it all. 

Edited by jarborist
Calm

4 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Add onto that bosses/guys who have more time in the saddle telling you how much better they are than you and how much quicker and more experienced they are and you have a good mix for an accident 😕

I don’t know if that’s a dig at people on here, but it serves no purpose.

These larger outfits are where newly qualified guys get the chance to get time in the saddle straight away, very few smaller outfits have the time or inclinatIon to spend a couple of years training someone up to a decent standard only to watch them start up on their own as soon as they can.

For newbies it’s the old conundrum of BSing that you can do something so you get the opportunity to get experience and hoping it’ll be ok.

It is that that is a recipe for an accident, both of personal injury and major damage to property.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, jarborist said:

' Yes I have actually 60ft beech was probably the biggest so far. ' wow. Always  heard about forum opinions but still genuinely amazed paddy you offer yours so forthrightly. No ill will meant. Good luck with it all. 

I've pruned larger, and rigged down bits from larger but not done a full top to bottom dismantle on larger. Just being honest, the job hasn't come up and being self employed and having freelanced on bigger jobs I don't think I would take it on myself, to big of a risk quote/profit wise.

I don't see what difference that makes to how I feel about using two anchors though. I'm not making the rules for others nor am I telling people what to do with them, just expressing how I feel about using two anchors and what my experience has been with it. 

4 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

These larger outfits are where newly qualified guys get the chance to get time in the saddle straight away, very few smaller outfits have the time or inclinatIon to spend a couple of years training someone up to a decent standard only to watch them start up on their own as soon as they can.

For newbies it’s the old conundrum of BSing that you can do something so you get the opportunity to get experience and hoping it’ll be ok.

It is that that is a recipe for an accident, both of personal injury and major damage to property.

There's the rub Mick " newly qualified" and no experience, the piece of Andrex they leave college with after a week ticks enough boxes and H&S criteria to allow an unsuspecting employer to legally let them loose in a tree.I have been of the opinion for many years that climbing qualifications should be part of a proper time served apprenticeship scheme and not just a ticket. 

Bob 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I was that guy Bob, turning up on jobs in central London with 50 mètres of triple plat, à Willans harness and a couple of stoners in the the van, looking up at something way out of my skill set.

So I got on with it and expensive mistakes were made.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1