Hearth

Nigel37

I think my black slate hearth sits below room temperature as it draws the cold air across it and into the fire.

In my non professional opinion you would have to go some to get your hearth up to 100 deg C plus it would also need a guard round it to stop it being accidentally touched, mmmm unlikely.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rob_the_Sparky said:

Why would the hearth hit 100C?  That is a hell of a lot so very unlikely, otherwise you would burn yourself if you touched the hearth and I have never heard of that happening.  Mine is black granite and doesn't get much above room temp.

Well exactly what I was thinking how could it reach 100c. It makes me wonder who makes up all these rules. 

The stove manufacturer would be able to tell you and to tell you what the minimum sec for a hearth for that stove is. So maybe see a stove you like and in budget, and ask the manufacturer.

I would expect more problems if you were changing a stove and just assumed an existing hearth was OK if the new stove is physically bigger.

Wouldn't expect a modern stove to heat a hearth above 100deg C though (Going downwards - Fire, Grid, air gap, ash pan, base of stove, air gap, hearth would need a fair heat to get through all of that)

When I was 19 I lived in a middle floor flat. Guy upstairs had a wood burner.
A tiny ember dropped from the fire and went between the floor boards.
I came home to find the entire ceiling of my room on the floor.
Sodden with water.
Destroyed everything I owned.

Yes. Put a big slab of stone/ceramic/concrete underneath.