Bilke S3 - any good for slabwood?

Tom at Heartwood

On 01/02/2021 at 20:59, Tom at Heartwood said:

I'm looking for a more efficient way of turning our slabwood from the sawmill into logs for our boiler and for selling for wood burning stoves. I'm wondering how good the Bilke S3 might be for the job. I see that it take up to 340mm wide pieces which would suit our needs. I'd be glad to hear of any experiences. Cheers. Tom.

Does it defiantly take 340mm? I had one and am pretty sure the largest log diameter it would take 8inch, which is a little over 200mm.

If it will take the size of material you require, then yes I think it will work extremely well. IME they are best run on a large high HP tractor. That way you can keep the revs low, which means it operates at a more manageable speed and you will get larger more uniform logs. On a small low HP tractor you need the revs fairly high, the machine runs very fast and you tend to get much smaller logs and a lot of smashed up bits. 

Does it defiantly take 340mm? I had one and am pretty sure the largest log diameter it would take 8inch, which is a little over 200mm.

If it will take the size of material you require, then yes I think it will work extremely well. IME they are best run on a large high HP tractor. That way you can keep the revs low, which means it operates at a more manageable speed and you will get larger more uniform logs. On a small low HP tractor you need the revs fairly high, the machine runs very fast and you tend to get much smaller logs and a lot of smashed up bits. 
Thanks, that's useful know. I got the figure of 340mm from the manufacturer's specifications. Can I ask why you no longer have yours? Cheers. Tom.

4 hours ago, Tom at Heartwood said:
6 hours ago, skyhuck said:
Does it defiantly take 340mm? I had one and am pretty sure the largest log diameter it would take 8inch, which is a little over 200mm

Read more  

Thanks, that's useful know. I got the figure of 340mm from the manufacturer's specifications. Can I ask why you no longer have yours? Cheers. Tom.

Just wasn’t using it enough, manly because I started drying smaller material in lengths and then cutting to length with a saw before putting it into my boiler. I have a poshe 350 processor and a very large 60tonne splitter, I just found I didn’t have time to use them all.