Online Level 4 qualification in arboriculture

Ethan Gannon

Hi, I’m looking for advice on who to do my online “level 4 diploma” in arboriculture with.
To do it with Tree Life, and to pay for the one year extension, costs approx £4400.

To do it with the The Training Tree cost £3120.

What are the differences between the two? Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by Ethan Gannon

I can’t comment on TreeLife as I’ve not personally used them but would do for my L6 and know they get great reviews and many on here have been through their training courses. I did my L4 with Training Tree about four or five years ago and was on one of their first courses. Normally with new courses or providers there may be teething problems but this wasn’t the case and the course was very well delivered and administered. The course was led by Lisa Sanderson who has a wealth of Arb experience having work around the world in different capacities and is an excellent teacher. The course was very well delivered and I’ve nothing but good feedback to give on it and would definitely use the Training Tree again. I did mine over about 10 - 12 months from memory and it was very intense and meant lots of late nights and weekends taken up with assignments but extremely worthwhile. I opted for the ‘taught’ option where you would go to lectures once very three or four weeks which IMO really helped, however I have heard of good reports on their online offering. They have a good team and would frequently bring in guest lecturers like Andy Poynter and Jack Kenyon who are well known and rightfully respected in their own rights.

I would call both of the providers and have a chat, make a list of questions that are important to you and ask them. Weigh up the options and go with your gut, as I say both providers get great reviews.

I think whichever provider you choose you will be in good hands, just go into it with an open mind as the course requires a great deal of time and commitment. Happy to answer any questions you many have if you think of anything

Audi A1 va Ford Ka, you pay for what you get. For me there’s only one option and that would be TreeLife.

Bit harsh! The Training Tree have a great team who deliver the course but obviously haven’t been around as long as TreeLife and the (well deserved) reputation. Having been through TT I would recommend them, never used TL but would do so for my L6 as I know they are held in high regard

6 hours ago, JaySmith said:

Bit harsh! The Training Tree have a great team who deliver the course but obviously haven’t been around as long as TreeLife and the (well deserved) reputation. Having been through TT I would recommend them, never used TL but would do so for my L6 as I know they are held in high regard

You may think I’ve been a bit harsh, that’s your opinion and my opinion is mine but I’ve been taught by TreeLife and the Training Tree lecturers and I’d pay the extra for TreeLife any time.

• 1 month later...

I started Level 4 with Treelife and then completed with The Training Tree. Although, Treelife have excellent tutors, I found the classes a little tedious. Instead of spending the time lecturing and imparting information, the majority of the time was spent discussing assignment requirements ('teaching around the question instead of the topic'). Whilst the qualification is important, it's not the main purpose of doing the course for me and I began to lose the enjoyment of learning and motivation. Personally, I found The Training Tree better suited my style of learning. We had several different expert lecturers come in and teach (who offered different perspectives) and there were several field trips to look at ancient trees, nurseries and pests and diseases. I found this more stimulating than sitting in an over-crowded room at Syston or Westonbirt being only taught by Andy Summerly (Dave Dowson doesn't teach L4). I'm just giving you my take - there is no doubting the quality and rigour of Treelife's courses, and the majority of students have had excellent experiences. But there is more than one way to teach; make sure you choose the one that gives you the best experience. After all, it's a very hard slog and you're paying thousands for the privilege! 

Edited by gulvain

On 01/02/2021 at 19:11, Ethan Gannon said:

Hi, I’m looking for advice on who to do my online “level 4 diploma” in arboriculture with.
To do it with Tree Life, and to pay for the one year extension, costs approx £4400.

To do it with the The Training Tree cost £3120.

What are the differences between the two? Any help greatly appreciated.

Dave Dowson from tree life wrote the syllabus.  He knows more about the course than literally anyone else. I did level 6 with them and can’t recommend them highly enough.