Fault Code Reader?

PeteB

1 minute ago, spudulike said:

Strange, my engine light came up and it diagnosed it down to a faulty exhaust sensor and even pointed out which one it was. I think I had to google the code but it was bang on. For under a tenner it was worth every penny in my instance!

The OBD tools will work for the engine systems, transmission stuff and other things that effect emissions but they wont deep scan, they usually can't talk to ABS, Central computers, SRS, immobiliser, headlights, entertainment systems, suspension, DPF, and other units. They can sometimes pick up basic issues like a dodgy abs sensor but it depends on the car and how the system is all integrated. When scanned on OBDII a car might say "Abs fault" or throw a general abs fault but the deep scan will tell you what sensor and what the issue is with the sensor, you can then go into the live data and it will tell you what the sensors are reading etc. 

If I scan my car with that foxwell I can choose between OBDII and manufacturer scan. If I scan with OBDII it takes about 30 seconds and will give me a basic code for "EGR-P0401". If I scan with full diagnostics it takes about 4 minutes, connecting to each module in the car and downloading the data I end up with a about 20 codes from logged abs issues to logged problems when a door lock got stuck when it was cold. If I then go into the ECU module it gives me the same fault with the EGR but it will give me more detailed info saying that it's disconnected (because I blanked it). Once connected I can also access special features like injector coding, forced DPF regeneration, steering angle sensor calibration, throttle peddle calibration etc etc

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Khriss said:

@Paddy1000111 and does it tell you when yr dinners ready  😉  K

No, but if you put it in forced regeneration for the DPF it sits at about 3500rpm and the DPF will cook your dinner for you and even flambe it by setting fire to the tarmac. Not talking from experience or anything 🙄 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

No, but if you put it in forced regeneration for the DPF it sits at about 3500rpm and the DPF will cook your dinner for you and even flambe it by setting fire to the tarmac. Not talking from experience or anything 🙄 🤣

Pics of that when yr done  😉  K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess for my very occasional use my under £10 option is good enough and will generally tell me if I have an issue I can fix relatively easily or one that may be serious or one to ignore until home. Your £400 reader can stay with the garage I will use if my box of tricks doesn't do the trick.

The OBD2 dongle and Torque is a damn good deal for the price though......well I thought so!

• Like 1