Forst st8

Will C

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

I read on another forum of people jet washing out their exhausts to clear them out!

I get regular spam emails from chinese companies offering DPF cleaning equipment. I often wonder what risk there is of damaging coatings on the ceramic filter if done badly as there are catalysts that work with the adblue (urea) solution to convert the nitrogen oxides to nitrogen.

Presumably once the DPF is well used and has done it's job it actually gets clogged with ash, the sooty contaminants having been burned off in normal hot running. So the back flushing with water (and fairly noxious chemicals I expect) which you can see in videos washes out this ash as the brown gunk.

Before I retired we has a pug 206 that blew a turbo and filled the DPF with burnt oil. I cleaned that with a propane torch and then a pressure washer back washing but of course do not know what damage that did.

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/dAxXfR0xVPw 

There are machines that clean them. They seem to use some sort of high pressure pulse cleaner and some form of detergent. 

At the end of the day, a dpf holds particulates. I would rather have them cleaned out and disposed of responsibly than have them "burnt off" i.e released as smaller particulates...

19 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

https://youtu.be/dAxXfR0xVPw 

There are machines that clean them. They seem to use some sort of high pressure pulse cleaner and some form of detergent. 

At the end of the day, a dpf holds particulates. I would rather have them cleaned out and disposed of responsibly than have them "burnt off" i.e released as smaller particulates...

Yes that's the sort of thing, just a way up the road from me.  How does £240 plus the time to take the exhaust off compare with a forced regen?

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Yes that's the sort of thing, just a way up the road from me.  How does £240 plus the time to take the exhaust off compare with a forced regen?

Depends on how bad it is I guess. Forced regens are cheaper (£100 ish) but are really bad for the car and you aren't guaranteed that it will fix it. Sometimes it's so coked up that it needs a second round and even then it's a maybe. 

Dpfs only usually fail when something goes wrong in the engine like a turbo oil leak or split boost hose causing excess smoke. If oil can get into the dpf then it blocks it up real bad. Given the choice I would rather go with the removal and liquid flush

Hammer a bit of rebar through it and knock the middle out, should stop it blocking up!

edit: this was tongue in cheek  before any eco vegans are offended!

Edited by Will C
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Can you explain a breakdown of the cost? Extra diesel used etc.

I just meant the upfront garage cost of them plugging in the computer and setting it off. It will also need an oil change after ~£70-£160 depending on the car. Plus fuel used which all depends on how long the car is running. It doesn't use a huge amount of fuel though as it's not under load, just a high rpm hence why it's not good for the engine.

• Thanks 1