Forst st8

Will C

1 hour ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Hey Conor,

You sound like an Orange Plant employee or a hungry post Brexit Brit, maybe both.

I'm self employed and Irish. So you're about as good at making assumptions as you are at picking the right machine.

Best of luck with your new chipper, whatever colour it happens to be.

• Haha 6

17 hours ago, PeteB said:

I ran two GreenMech wood chippers back in the mid 90's. One towed and one on a Unimog. They were reliable and well cared for by all the staff. I had one for three years and one for two before I packed in the tree business and went to work for GreenMech. I also ran a flat bladed machine which was reliable too. The flat blades occasionally burst and caused consequential damage, they often had to have an amount ground off them to get rid of imperfections and cost £340 per set and we had a couple of sets per year. The Disc Blades on the GreenMech units lasted longer, they were very forgiving, were easier to look after and I never purchased any more. 

Having sold GreenMech for 20 plus years, I'll stay loyal to them and the wider team of staff, dealers, owners (past, present and future).

The only company that thinks their  a good idea 😉

Edited by bigtreedon

1 hour ago, Conor Wright said:

I'm self employed and Irish. So you're about as good at making assumptions as you are at picking the right machine.

Best of luck with your new chipper, whatever colour it happens to be.

I wonder where you get your anger from?

Have you got personal problems at home or work perhaps?

If I annoy you so much, just block me.

Stuart

23 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

The engine comes as standard with a 30 micron pre-filter.

The mechanic is now fitting a 10 micron.

Just what pollutant traversed the pre-filter to block the pumps own 10 micron is beyond all ken.

I've given up on the machine. 

If I could have slid a diesel into it I'd have kept it but it is now 2 months in a mechanics workshop so I'm moving it on, sadly.

I'm considering running 3 CS100 wee chippettes and pay €5 per hour to hungry post brexit Brits for feeding them... 

Stuart

What’s a hungry post brexit Brit🤔. Have you got lots of Brits over there struggling to find money for food?

This thread seems to have taken a downward spiral. Can we all kiss and make up so harmony can resume?

Back on track, the Briggs seem to suffer more than others for dirty fuel.

It would be interesting to note the filter size on the equivalent honda?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dan blocker said:

What’s a hungry post brexit Brit🤔. Have you got lots of Brits over there struggling to find money for food?

Yes.

Many of working age depended on other Brits buying properties and using other Brits to renovate.

This has stalled with Brexit and Covid.

Property owners are no longer able to bring over cheap materials for renovations which in turn makes it less atttractive to buy here.

Many Brits without sufficient French language to find French clients are struggling for work.

Unwilling or unable to return to the U.K, often they are trapped here by Covid or their own unsaleable unfinished renovations.

Having removed themselves from the U.K property market they stand little chance of buying back into it.

Covid has seen property prices rise in more rural areas but the Parisian professionals are wanting ready to move into properties not half finished, amateurish Brit renovations with ring mains,  3 pin plugs and no tradesmans guarantees for work done.

Yes, some families are pushed to relying on state aid (RSA) and 'Resto du Cour' food banks.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Nowt wrong with the vanguard engines. They've been using them for years in America on big deck zero turn lawnmowers and stuff and theirs have thousands of hours on. No, they won't last as long as a Kubota block but if they're properly looked after they can be as reliable. They just take more care, regular oil changes and using decent quality synthetic oil. The fuel filter thing is an issue but easily fixed and prevented. 

Reality is I think the vanguard engines are going to become more and more popular as the diesel emissions issues come in. I was watching a video on the new forst diesels about how the regeneration works and how you have to leave it running flat out for extended periods to allow the dpf to regenerate. I fire up my chipper, let it idle for over 30 seconds and then run it up. I chip, let it idle for 30+ seconds and shut down. It doesn't get extended run times to regenerate

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Nowt wrong with the vanguard engines. They've been using them for years in America on big deck zero turn lawnmowers and stuff and theirs have thousands of hours on. No, they won't last as long as a Kubota block but if they're properly looked after they can be as reliable. They just take more care, regular oil changes and using decent quality synthetic oil. The fuel filter thing is an issue but easily fixed and prevented. 

Reality is I think the vanguard engines are going to become more and more popular as the diesel emissions issues come in. I was watching a video on the new forst diesels about how the regeneration works and how you have to leave it running flat out for extended periods to allow the dpf to regenerate. I fire up my chipper, let it idle for over 30 seconds and then run it up. I chip, let it idle for 30+ seconds and shut down. It doesn't get extended run times to regenerate

But you run it flat out while its chipping? I honestly can't see there being a massive problem with chipper dpfs as chippers spend most of their time flat out, unlike diesel trucks which get sat in traffic idling for long periods of time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HuntingHicap said:

But you run it flat out while its chipping? I honestly can't see there being a massive problem with chipper dpfs as chippers spend most of their time flat out, unlike diesel trucks which get sat in traffic idling for long periods of time.

Because it's quite a long process. When I have time later I'll see if I can find the video. I think it was forst but the engines are all the same. They do a partial and a full regeneration. The partial one (passive) is something like 5 minutes which is fine but the full one is 40 odd and it has to happen every X amount of hours so there's a timer build into the screen to tell you when it's due so you leave it running for 40 minutes flat out to regenerate.

Personally I don't find myself running flat out chipping for 40 minutes at a time. It gets bulked up, fired through in 5-10 then shut down or it gets fired through in 5, left idling for 2/3 then maybe a 10 minute run. 

Edited by Paddy1000111

I heard a story about a tow tug tractor where the driver kept on hitting the 'delay' for a regen. Eventually, the thing would not work and the dealer had to get involved and on the advice of the manufacturer, it had to to an enforced, long term regen cycle. It was sat in the yard at full chat for a day and a half to clear it out! The exhaust was glowing red and it used a massive amount of fuel too!