echo 501sx for blocking

Hi got paid in chainsaw at the start of the year, as i did a stump carving outside my local garden machinery shop. I got a new echo 501sx with the idea to use it as my new blocking saw, as up until now I've mainly just been using the 361 wes for most work, a 281 wes for detail and a 620sx for large cuts. although i still haven't worked out if i can stick a quarter pitch bar on it, I asked Rob at chainsawbars, and he said there was a couple that should fit, but didn't know how many drive links id need. Is anyone else using this saw with a carving setup, if so i'd love to know what your using. If not, what does everyone else recommend as a decent 50cc saw for blocking that will take a toonie tip or quarter tip. Thanks for your time.

Charlie

Hi got paid in chainsaw at the start of the year, as i did a stump carving outside my local garden machinery shop. I got a new echo 501sx with the idea to use it as my new blocking saw, as up until now I've mainly just been using the 361 wes for most work, a 281 wes for detail and a 620sx for large cuts. although i still haven't worked out if i can stick a quarter pitch bar on it, I asked Rob at chainsawbars, and he said there was a couple that should fit, but didn't know how many drive links id need. Is anyone else using this saw with a carving setup, if so i'd love to know what your using. If not, what does everyone else recommend as a decent 50cc saw for blocking that will take a toonie tip or quarter tip. Thanks for your time.
Charlie
Not sure if they're on this forum but carvers Ian Andrews and Mike Jones both use a lot of echo saws and will no doubt know.
Look them up on Facebook or ask on the fb page Chainsaw carving UK

• 1 month later...

I don't visit this page often, so apologies for the late reply. :(

I use the 501sx for my main blocking saw, with a 20" quarter tip running 3/8" lo-pro. I occasionally use it with a 16" dime tip and 1/4" 0.050 chain. The sprocket is a doddle to change. Only ever had one 1/4" chain snap, and it was past it's best, so no real worries there, but with the larger tip the 3/8" lo-pro does cut faster on the 20" bar. Probably clears the swarf easier. :) 

Hope it helps.

Ian Andrews