Now new blower wont run on aspen

miker

I run all my kit on Aspen - some new and never been run on anything else (T540 mk1, Dolmar 6100, Husky hedgers) and some old (a 372xp and a 268 - I've not even changed anything out on these) and everything runs just fine.

In fact I 'lost' my tophandle in the mire that is my workshop for about a year - it started up no problems with the existing fuel in the tank. 

Everybody has their own experiences with various fuels but I can honestly say that Aspen works for me and I'd never run anything else (ie I might change brand if needed but would never go back to pump fuel).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Everybody has their own experiences with various fuels but I can honestly say that Aspen works for me and I'd never run anything else (ie I might change brand if needed but would never go back to pump fuel).

I completely agree. I just feel that there isn't a night and day difference between aspen and petrol when it's being run in the saw and unless there's something wrong with the saw there's no reason why a tool won't run, and run well on it. I want to know if this was a bad batch (unlikely, although if the batch number was posted up aspen could look into it although it would be a huge amount of resources and money) or if it's 2 dodgy tools which is far, far more likely

• Like 2

15 hours ago, miker said:

Right, i have drained the aspen out of the blower, refilled with petrol and stihl 2 stroke oil ( i have used this for years with no problems ) i have tuned carb and is now running well

Not blaming the aspen in any way, i was just curios as to weather i had a bad batch

I  will run a few tanks through and then go back to aspen to see what happens

I  will update soon

Hi Miker,

if the machine was brand new out of the box, having never seen any regular petrol before running aspen, there is a chance that there could have been waxy residue inside the carburettor which was causing running issues. Aspen or (or any other alkylate fuel) wont be able to clear this due to the lack of aromatic hydrocarbons. pump petrol will work like a solvent to remove this wax very quickly. if this was the issue, now that you have run it on petrol, it should work on Aspen. look forward to hearing your findings, as i have already mentioned, please feel free to give me a call if you are still having issues (i have sent you my direct number by pm)

to people who havent yet made the switch to alkylate fuels, it may seem like making the switch can cause a lot of machinery problems but it is in fact quite rare that this happens and once the machines are up and running on aspen (which usually doesn't even require a retune) you will quickly find your machines running better than before.

It is also worth noting that the main reason that alkylate fuels behave slightly differently to regular petrol (in regards to machinery issues when switching from one to the other) is that alkylate fuels do not contain the harmful components which cause cancer, nausea, nerve damage as well as irritating your eyes and throat damage when breathed in by the operator during operation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a thought.

Problem: 2 new machines suddenly not running, no obvs reason why?

Have you pissed off an employee recently?  Maybe enough for him/her to deliberately sabotage your kit to get back at you?

My ex was a copper,,,,, I have unfortunately learned that some people are just nasty.

A

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

Just a thought.

Have you pissed off an employee recently?  Maybe enough for him/her to deliberately sabotage your kit to get back at you?

My ex was a copper,,,,, I have unfortunately learned that some people are just nasty.

A

Good comment, worked in a garden a couple of years ago and was asked about tuning a strimmer that would not start or run, got it going and gave it to the gardener after a couple of days owner rang me up and said they couldn't get it going. So next time I was there had a look at it and the tuning screws had been turned right in when gardener was asked about it new nothing about it, turns out he later let slip he hated strimming. 

• Haha 2

On 07/02/2021 at 11:53, Andrew L said:

Just a thought.

A

No, owner user, although i did sack an employee a while back, 6 months later backpack blower, brushcutter and hedge cutter were all pinched .....

• Sad 1

Bizarrely enough, my Husky 525 blower which has been ran exclusively on Aspen started playing up at the exact time this thread was started! And I’m called Mike too, @miker have you unleashed a hex or annoyed a witch who has cursed all Husky blowers owned by people called Mike?! 😂

Jokes aside, I mentioned this to my good friend @Gray git who reckons it just needs some tuning to alleviate the problem which is down to the cold weather we’ve been having. He did explain it all to me but I was drinking beer so the information has been forgotten. Seems plausible though and I’ll let him sort it for me as he is such a good guy 😜