Use tacho or not?

andy cobb

43 minutes ago, andy cobb said:

Cheers for that, its maybe something to look into further down the line.

When you look at YouGov websites re o licenses it's all very complicated, but when somebody who knows , like you, it becomes a little clearer

Its like they want to make it complicated.

They (DVSA) wont even give 100% advice re situations yet they are supposed to know 100% whats what.

I know but I needed a replacement for the 130 quickly.
And at least if by unfortunate chance I do end up a whisper over weight, I know it's well within its capabilities.

Agreed. I’ve often thought about down plated vans. Basically it’s a bit of a naughty way of carrying more weight with a capable vehicle .... well from my perspective anyway. [emoji23]
I think the Iveco is a good waggon. The older ones were tough as old boots with not too many big problems. Pretty easy to work on too.
I’ve not any experience on the new shape but a tidy older one is a good buy in my opinion.
  • Like 1

Seems a shame to give up the extra capacity of the bigger truck by down plating. Restricted O licence if on a tight budget is very straight forward, Tacho`s take seconds to sort out,drivers daily fifteen minute walk around starts when the tacho is put in( will leave that for your imagination but it normally takes at least that to load a truck for the day), PMI`s dont have to be six weekly if you are not doing thousands of miles, they can be 6,8,10 or even12 weekly and can cost less than £100 a go. I very much doubt it would cost more that £20 a week over and above a transit to legally run a 7.5 tonner, most of the arb boys I know spend more than that on redbulls and costa coffee .

Bob

• Like 6

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

Tacho`s take seconds to sort out,drivers daily fifteen minute walk around starts when the tacho is put in( will leave that for your imagination but it normally takes at least that to load a truck for the day)..... 

THAT is the trick question of switched on traffic coppers, be warned  😳  K

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Khriss said:

THAT is the trick question of switched on traffic coppers, be warned  😳  K

Its an odd one Khriss, the fifteen minute daily check time is the same for 7.5 tonners as it is for an artic unit +trailer which could have 16 wheels/tyres and twice as many lights to run through. If its your daily driver you can thoroughly check around any small truck and fill in the defects book in less than five minutes, especially if you have got a mucker with you to help check the lights. Its not a problem or something to avoid, it is something I believe is bang on for bigger trucks but in need of a time tweak for the small ones. 

Bob

• Like 1

.... Didnt ever get caught out, but our fleet fitter warned us " put card in and start it and leave it ( whilst you drank yr coffe n sharpened yr saw 😋) dont jump in and drive off to the job or first question is ' yr card showing 06.45 start,  vehicle in motion from 06.50 until i pulled you over so how can you prove you did yr vehicle  walk around n checks sonny?' K

4 hours ago, lux said:

Agreed. I’ve often thought about down plated vans. Basically it’s a bit of a naughty way of carrying more weight with a capable vehicle .... well from my perspective anyway. emoji23.png
I think the Iveco is a good waggon. The older ones were tough as old boots with not too many big problems. Pretty easy to work on too.
I’ve not any experience on the new shape but a tidy older one is a good buy in my opinion.

It's a 10 plate with 90 thou on it, I would have liked something newer but pickings are slim at the moment as regards tippers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aspenarb said:

Seems a shame to give up the extra capacity of the bigger truck by down plating. Restricted O licence if on a tight budget is very straight forward, Tacho`s take seconds to sort out,drivers daily fifteen minute walk around starts when the tacho is put in( will leave that for your imagination but it normally takes at least that to load a truck for the day), PMI`s dont have to be six weekly if you are not doing thousands of miles, they can be 6,8,10 or even12 weekly and can cost less than £100 a go. I very much doubt it would cost more that £20 a week over and above a transit to legally run a 7.5 tonner, most of the arb boys I know spend more than that on redbulls and costa coffee .

Bob

I think my main issue would be operating base,

Although I have a yard, it's not secure enough to leave a vehicle there, a d I don't officially pay rent, so base would have to be my home which I think would present a whole load more complications.