Use tacho or not?

andy cobb

Afternoon all.

I've just bought an iveco 5.2 ton tipper, it's been down plates to 3.5 and I've no intention of switching it back.

Its obviously fitted with a digi tacho, my question is, should I just leave my drivers card in permanently so when I do tow anything, its recorded, and also as helpful evidence in the event of an accident to show correct speeds etc.

I guess the head records it anyway.

Also anything to look out for on 3.0 ltr iveco?

Cheers- Andy 

If you drive in the day that is in scope then all day is in scope & you need tacho card in.

If you drive one day in a week in scope the all that weeks hours need to be recorded.

I think also the week before / after to be fully compliant but for an occasional user your unlikely to go over the hours but its up to you to prove you have not.

You will need to read the card every 21 days & the head every 90 days.

If stopped be ready to explain all non card hours.

Are you not exempt tacho or do you go to far / carry other peoples goods?Do you need O licence too?

25 minutes ago, Justme said:

PS a 5.2T tipper is not going to have much legal payload down plated to 3500kg.

Less than a 3500kg one.

I know but I needed a replacement for the 130 quickly.

And at least if by unfortunate chance I do end up a whisper over weight, I know it's well within its capabilities.

26 minutes ago, Justme said:

If you do need tacho & O licence you might as well up rate it and be able to carry more.

For the low cost a C1 (all up around £780) & C1E (an extra £350-650) will cost.

It'll only do about 5000 miles a year as I try to use the little bipper as much as possible.

What put me off o licence was 6 weekly checks when it may have only done 100 miles since last 1, and associated tacho centre costs etc.

Although I didn't realise it was as affordable as £780 to set up an o license, can they be run from a domestic dwelling or do you need separate premises?

34 minutes ago, Justme said:

If you drive in the day that is in scope then all day is in scope & you need tacho card in.

If you drive one day in a week in scope the all that weeks hours need to be recorded.

I think also the week before / after to be fully compliant but for an occasional user your unlikely to go over the hours but its up to you to prove you have not.

You will need to read the card every 21 days & the head every 90 days.

If stopped be ready to explain all non card hours.

Are you not exempt tacho or do you go to far / carry other peoples goods?Do you need O licence too?

We don't go far or carry others goods but have heard (possibly falsely) of vosa looking to crack down on construction vehicles towing mini diggers etc without tacho, we very rarely tow, but how can you prove that if your stopped with a digger behind you?

Just trying to be as legal as possible.

For now!

32 minutes ago, andy cobb said:

It'll only do about 5000 miles a year as I try to use the little bipper as much as possible.

What put me off o licence was 6 weekly checks when it may have only done 100 miles since last 1, and associated tacho centre costs etc.

Although I didn't realise it was as affordable as £780 to set up an o license, can they be run from a domestic dwelling or do you need separate premises?

£780 id for the driving licence not the O licence. I think that is more like £400.

Yearly mileage does not affect it. Its radius of each journey for tacho.

There are rules re 6 weekly check being 12 weekly but I dont know what they are.

The 6 week check does not have to be a full work up, its an agreement between you & the garage re needs.

You can do them yourself if you have facilities.

30 minutes ago, andy cobb said:

We don't go far or carry others goods but have heard (possibly falsely) of vosa looking to crack down on construction vehicles towing mini diggers etc without tacho, we very rarely tow, but how can you prove that if your stopped with a digger behind you?

Just trying to be as legal as possible.

For now!

Never listen to scare stories.

First exemption you need.

If you are in scope for tacho but its your own goods / tools for your work & your main job is not driver then as long as you are within 100km of your main base you are exempt.

Other exemptions could apply but you need to ensure you meet the reasons.

In your case as long as its your digger (inc hired) & you are going to use it & not drop it off then go to another job then you could be ok within 100km's radius.

Re O licence exemption.

Best one is the small trailer one.

If the trailer is under 1020kg (might be 1040kg I can never remember which one is which) unladen weight & vehicle is =<3500kg you are exempt up to the vehicle being 7500kg at which point virtually all exemptions end.

• Like 1