Firewood moisture meters, and "wet basis" vs "dry basis"

carbs for arbs

14 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Your wrong the air dried will always be more dense and burn longer

If they're the same moisture there shouldn't be a difference, they'll produce the same kw. Density shouldn't change and extra weight will only be moisture. Kiln dried is just a faster version of air dried.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gdh said:

If they're the same moisture there shouldn't be a difference, they'll produce the same kw. Density shouldn't change and extra weight will only be moisture. Kiln dried is just a faster version of air dried.

Their just a harder wood when air dried and will burn longer no question about it.

18 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Their just a harder wood when air dried and will burn longer no question about it.

The only reason an identical log will burn longer is if it's damper, then it will produce less kw anyway. Any drying method is just taking water out basically and not changing the structure of the wood. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert but I've done enough of both to see no difference and no science has shown otherwise that I've seen.

• Like 2

Kiln drying is very different to air drying.
And there are many variables to both.
Kiln drying is forceful on the wood, it splits and cracks considerably more as the different densities of wood dry at different speeds.
Air drying without forced airflow is slow. Very very slow, but the finished product is much better.
Some Japanese will store slabs for 15 years before use.

As for firewood,
Cut to under 12”, split with no edge longer than 4”.
Store in a draughty barn for 2 years.
You won’t need a moisture meter.
[emoji106]

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Kiln drying is very different to air drying.
And there are many variables to both.
Kiln drying is forceful on the wood, it splits and cracks considerably more as the different densities of wood dry at different speeds.
Air drying without forced airflow is slow. Very very slow, but the finished product is much better.
Some Japanese will store slabs for 15 years before use.

As for firewood,
Cut to under 12”, split with no edge longer than 4”.
Store in a draughty barn for 2 years.
You won’t need a moisture meter.
emoji106.png

No doubt for furniture air dried is better as you get less tension in the wood. 

• Like 1

No doubt for furniture air dried is better as you get less tension in the wood. 

Traditionally yes.
However with the advent of epoxy resin,
Cracks, holes, rot pockets etc are now desirable features.
In practice it means less trunks are firewood/chip or left to rot.
[emoji106]

Cutting shorter lengths helps it dry faster. It seems like in the UK, you guys cut shorter logs than in North America. we cut 16 inch as a standard for load amount calculation and 16 inch is what most wood stoves can fit. Some are made to fit 20 inch or more, some are small and only fit 12 inch. If you deal with wood long enough, you wont need a moisture meter. If I'm loading a delivery, I sometimes see oak logs or other species that haven't full dried yet because theyre still heavy, unlike the rest of the logs. Kiln-dried wood is not better than naturally seasoned woo. Its too dry. I had a customer who got a load of kiln dried for 33% less than the average firewood cost and he called me to order wood after he ran out because he learned what is better