Peeling paint

gobbypunk

So today changing a band I noticed some of the powder coating is starting to peel already, my mill is in a lean too and covered with a tarp when not in use, I haven't had it that long, and its a Sawmill its meant to be outside anybody else had this problem

Cheers Mark

I have several items new bought, but now not new, but kept under cover, where the PC has effortlessly and cleanly  peeled back to the bare steel.

Not prepped nor primed obviously.

Anyway imho PC is best applied on top of hot dip galvansing.

Or just leave it galvanised if possible.

But cheap and impressive sounding, and people are easy fooled.

Gerrr!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

So today changing a band I noticed some of the powder coating is starting to peel already, my mill is in a lean too and covered with a tarp when not in use, I haven't had it that long, and its a Sawmill its meant to be outside anybody else had this problem

Cheers Mark

Yeah, I've never liked powder coating particularly although a friend of mine who was in business doing it used to take the trouble to give everything a coat of some kind of etching primer prior to applying the powder..it certainly helped.

I've got a whole stack of equipment all going the same way, mixers, compressors, power washers, Honda engines, rack shelving....the list goes on.

Only really two solutions, as Diffllock says hot dip galv or sand blast back to bare metal, high zinc primer and 2pack paint which is my plan as no one doing galv locally, cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...