Limp home canter Fuso 3c13 2007

coupcoup

On 07/02/2021 at 23:18, LR90 said:

hi had the same on my 05 canter think yours is the same engine.  Not the common rail type brought out in 2008? 

The engine has a manual fuel injection pump with a electronic brain attached, inside the brain is a fuel pressure sensor this breaks down over time giving the computer a low fuel pressure reading which causes the limp home function.    this can also be exaggerated by a dirty fuel filter  as I changed mine and got a week of fine running then back to limp home.  some times it also cleared turning the ignition off and on.     in the end had to get a new fuel injection pump with the new brain attached since its be fine. 

with the diagnostic it was near impossible to read as only mercedes benz commercial can read it who are the dealers for mitsubishi  commercial in the uk.    But the computer is so basic it just lists it as a fault that put it in a limp home mode.  Not what the actual problem was. 

if you need any further help can find the paper work for the diagnostic and where the new pump came from.

this would be great if you could tell me where you got the new pump.  Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

So no further forward with this. the garage isn't doing a great job to be honest. they're too busy it seems. anyway they had it for a week and when I called to find out what was happening they didn't really know.  They'd basically just looked at the diagnostics and done what they said. They told me it needed a turbo or maybe an actuator according to the diagnostics.  but physically looking at the turbo they then told me it didn't.  

They've regenerated the DPF and it had a sticky exhaust valve apparently but its still running exactly as it was.

they phoned to tell me it was not running on the third cylinder once it goes into limp home. as in the truck starts and ticks over fine. even revs ok but when its driven it kicks into limp home and runs on three cylinders. so he's going to swap the electrics round on the top of the injectors to see if that's the problem. but that doesn't explain why its going into limbo home in the first place.  only recently has it gone into lump home. for the last three years when it went into limp home it started away no problem and was fine.  maybe a bad injector?

Total nightmare. 

Any specific insight into fixing this would be most welcome cause im going to end up mental, spending a small fortune and it will be no better.  plus working with an old landcruiser and a plant trailer is not the best.

Thanks. 

If they can swap injectors, which isn't always easy, they'll be able to pinpoint if the fault moves with the injector or stays with the cylinder which will give them something to go off. Have they compression tested the cylinders at all? That would be one of my first steps as one of the basics to rule out. If they've mentioned valve train issues you might have a valve not seating on that cylinder resulting in low compression. Or bad injector can quickly lead to a cracked piston/head too. 

the truck in the past has had three new turbos and a new eco all fitted my the dealer and all before 40,000 miles. would be good to find out what is causing this.  im pretty sure it is a  fuel delivery sensor.  someone mentioned a damaged fuel delivery chip on the ecu.  would that explain why it's ticking over fine but then limping home almost straight away when the truck demands more fuel. but what would cause a chip to fry?

Might just cut my losses shortly. 

1 hour ago, coupcoup said:

the truck in the past has had three new turbos and a new eco all fitted my the dealer and all before 40,000 miles. would be good to find out what is causing this.  im pretty sure it is a  fuel delivery sensor.  someone mentioned a damaged fuel delivery chip on the ecu.  would that explain why it's ticking over fine but then limping home almost straight away when the truck demands more fuel. but what would cause a chip to fry?

Might just cut my losses shortly. 

Did they replace oil feed and return pipes and do a flow test with any of them turbos? 9/10 it's an oil supply problem that kills turbos IME, most turbo manufacturers won't entertain a warranty claim on a new unit without a receipt for a feed pipe and oil pressure/flow test results.

Could be a completely separate issue to your limp home prob though

3 hours ago, jude021174 said:

Mine went into limp home mode a few times, found it to be loose battery connections.
I replaced them, at least a couple of times, I really scratched my head until I found out what it was.
Also had a dirty fuel filter and that also caused limp home mode, worth a try.

I wish it was that easy.  the fuel filter has just been done and the battery was off while I took the ecu out and reconnected. would hope that the main dealer would have picked up on that.

2 hours ago, Darkslider said:

Did they replace oil feed and return pipes and do a flow test with any of them turbos? 9/10 it's an oil supply problem that kills turbos IME, most turbo manufacturers won't entertain a warranty claim on a new unit without a receipt for a feed pipe and oil pressure/flow test results.

Could be a completely separate issue to your limp home prob though

not sure tbh.  was the PO who had £10,000 worth of work on it before he gave up and traded it in. I bought it from an auction and it had just had its third turbo.  I managed 30,000 miles in it but the limp home got lumpy and the truck undriveable.  I might end up selling it for spares or repair. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So for an update. I just heard from the mechanic that this is fixed.  It was running on three cylinders and he changed the fuel rail which solved that problem.  He also forced a regen of the DPF which was causing a fault code and says the truck is now running like a train.  

For anyone else's information DO NOT send your ECU to Auto-tech in Norfolk.  He may well know what he's doing but he said my ECU required repair which would cost £450. IT DID NOT  He also took £50 for the privilege of looking at it.  I've had no ECU work done and there are no lights on the dash now.  His caveat was that the repaired ECU should not be fitted until the electrics had been sorted or the unit would be damaged again.  So you would never know if the unit had been repaired or not. 

I found a good garage in the end who solved the issue with old fashioned mechanics.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1