Limp home canter Fuso 3c13 2007

coupcoup

How do?

I've a Mitsubishi Canter 2007 3c13 with a limp home fault. 

The truck originally used to go into limp home occasionally when it was driven hard, but lately it has developed a fault where  when the truck is accelerated at all it pulls back and runs lumpy as - Almost like its down a cylinder.  I've read a few threads from folk with similar problems, but as yet have not heard of a consistent solution. the fuel lines are new, the turbo is quite new.  it has had the engine management light on for a couple years now which came about as a result of towing a digger up a long hill when the first limp home mode kicked in.  over two years and 15,000 miles agio.  the light did go out for a wee while but came back on and as I said is happening all the time now.  its a shame as its a great truck with a wide cab. 

Hopefully someone has had a similar problem and found a solution. I don't want to pay Mitsubishi mechanics rates if I can avoid it.  

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Had similar issues with an 07 L200. First time the engine management light came on and limp mode, mechanic plugged in to laptop and said it needed new injector, was fine after.

Second time it had no power above 2k rpm, was lumpy as you called it, and his laptop led him to a vacuum hose needing replaced.

Think if you can find a smaller garage to check the fault codes on it they'll find the issue in a few minutes 

• Like 1

Sadly, I think its more complicated because there are several which have suffered from the same problem, as far as I can tell.  its just that quite often folk describe the problem and never conclude with the solution.  so I've read a few thread specific to canters with identical problems but I cannae find a solution.  Someone recommended taking the ECU out and sending it down south to have the software updated.  someone else recommenced opening up the spaghetti junction bonus underneath and drying out the next of wires.  another said injectors another said injector pump.  It must be a common fault because a lot of folk have it.  unless it is just the ECU being in the crossroads of MUTIII and the previous code.  

Hopefully someone who has had one of these and suffered the same fate will have a solution.  

cheers for the help..

Symptoms sound like it might be dropping into limp home due to overboost, quite common with vgt turbos that are always driven gently EGR systems coke everything up with carbon and then the vanes stick and can't change as boost increases like they should. 

If you've a mechanical boost actuated waste gate (like my 2006 L200) if the actuator hose is loose or holed that can have a similar effect, boost increases but isn't pressurising the actuator to open the waste gate so nowhere for all the extra air to go until the PCM cuts the fuelling. 

Easy to rule out by looking at MAP figures in live data on a decent scantool,  or installing a mechanical gauge, I would imagine the Canter shouldn't have manifold pressure of more than 2 bar if everything is working correctly. 

• 2 weeks later...

hi had the same on my 05 canter think yours is the same engine.  Not the common rail type brought out in 2008? 

The engine has a manual fuel injection pump with a electronic brain attached, inside the brain is a fuel pressure sensor this breaks down over time giving the computer a low fuel pressure reading which causes the limp home function.    this can also be exaggerated by a dirty fuel filter  as I changed mine and got a week of fine running then back to limp home.  some times it also cleared turning the ignition off and on.     in the end had to get a new fuel injection pump with the new brain attached since its be fine. 

with the diagnostic it was near impossible to read as only mercedes benz commercial can read it who are the dealers for mitsubishi  commercial in the uk.    But the computer is so basic it just lists it as a fault that put it in a limp home mode.  Not what the actual problem was. 

if you need any further help can find the paper work for the diagnostic and where the new pump came from. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1