The woodsure scheme, do we need it?

william petts

11 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

I've past that stage now and accepted its here to stay and jumped through all the long line of hoops, despite there being far easier ways to make a living.

I genuinely wish you the best of luck but I can't see it being any benefit to you other than you be allowed to carry on trading.

Would love to know the pay a log policeman gets compared to a log seller. 

Please forgive me if I seem bitter, I think it both a shame and shameful that the working people of this country are so hindered by the bureaucracy relentlessly taking a tighter grip on every aspect of our lives. I am a farmer by trade and have a lot of experience with the box tickers and can't be doing with them. In the post war years the government supplied an army of people whose job it was to make sure you did as well as you possibly could. They would advise on all aspects of farming from fertilisers, sprays, animal husbandry etc etc. These days there is still an army of folk coming from the government but now it seems their job is to do anything they can to stop you from getting on, if by no other means than tying you up in paperwork and gold plating any EU directive they could.

Woodsure is just another one of a long list and there will be more. Look at the NHS, massive government funding that has led to more managers than doctors nurses and patients, all with their ever so important non jobs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big J said:

This whole scheme will be in the evidence dossier in 50 years time as one of the obvious examples of how the Brits can take a good idea (ensuring that people burn dry firewood) and turn it into a complete farce.

Much like HS2. Having high speed public transport is great, but not if you demolish dozens of ancient woodlands along the way and at such expense that the cost equates to paying every man, woman and child in the UK almost £2500. And where is the benefit for people in Wales, Scotland or N. Ireland?

Or the stamp duty cut to stimulate the housing market in the wake of covid. That saving just going straight onto the asking price, pushing the price of housing up to even more unsustainable levels. 

I'm going to stop ranting now, before I properly start 😄

Dont rub it in J some of us are stuck in this dumb as f**k country with no means of escape 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Woodworks said:

Dont rub it in J some of us are stuck in this dumb as f**k country with no means of escape 

I think that's the first time I've every heard/read you swear Beau. I apologise for the provocation 😲 

It's a bit depressing really. The solution is really simple to reduce particulate pollution. Ban open fires completely and educate the public. Make is a legal requirement that all stoves have temperature monitoring so that they can't be 'slumbered'. 

I also really don't see why anyone on mains gas would want to bother with a stove? Or in the middle of a town or city? They're a lot of work - I can't wait to move into a house with geothermal and air/air heat pump so that I don't have to deal with the mess, the dust and all the bloody processing and stacking.

19 minutes ago, Big J said:

I think that's the first time I've every heard/read you swear Beau. I apologise for the provocation 😲 

No problem.

Its not the this scheme that's made me so ...... ... more our whole political landscape and schemes like this are just the icing on the cake 😆

As for Woodsure I will cough up and take the hit. Selling exactly the same product I did before with the customer picking up the extra costs. No choice in the matter 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

HS2 really makes me despair of our politicians, (and maybe even the average Joe public as well). When challenged about the destruction of ancient woodlands they always respond with : "oh it's ok, we're planting thousands/millions of new trees as compensation". Obviously we on here all know that's complete nonsense, it doesn't work like that.

The fact that our country is run by characters with such little practical understanding of how the real world actually works is deeply depressing.

The Woodsure Scheme is yet another example of this malaise. As is the biomass nonsense; shipping woodchip all over the country, and even from beyond, to feed "Environmentally Friendly" power stations.

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, sime42 said:

HS2 really makes me despair of our politicians, (and maybe even the average Joe public as well). When challenged about the destruction of ancient woodlands they always respond with : "oh it's ok, we're planting thousands/millions of new trees as compensation". Obviously we on here all know that's complete nonsense, it doesn't work like that.

The fact that our country is run by characters with such little practical understanding of how the real world actually works is deeply depressing.

The Woodsure Scheme is yet another example of this malaise. As is the biomass nonsense; shipping woodchip all over the country, and even from beyond, to feed "Environmentally Friendly" power stations.

I agree entirely. 

Politics has long been the game of managing public perception, rather than enacting any meaningful and worthwhile change. 

We need better public transport - HS2 is a big glitzy prestige project with little actual benefit.

We need greener heat and power - feeding millions of tonnes of (often not grown in the UK) virgin timber into boilers to make rich people richer isn't the answer.

We need to get home users to reduce their particulate pollution from their fires - regulating moisture content isn't the answer. Better appliances and consumer education is more effective.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...