The woodsure scheme, do we need it?

william petts

2 hours ago, Vedhoggar said:

Two table spoons of salt to 1/4 water same reading 40%. Will try drying a sample in oven sometime. 

Software in the meter could well limit the reading to 40%.  I.e. it may well read 40% even if you put a dead short (like a piece of wire) across the terminals.

Still how to tell if it is dry or wet basis?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So if I test moisture content of every load, which is recorded on each invoice, I am in possession of felling licences, give storage instruction, I still have to be part of the Hetas scheme?? I sell under 600m3 per year. We wouldn’t have a firewood business if I sold wet wood!!

I’m interested in the definition of 2m3, does it state anywhere in the regulations how this is measured?
Is it a 2m3 Loose load? Or 2m3 stacked? Unless this is defined, then it can always be disputed by either side.

This is not the same in the discussion earlier around supply and delivery. This is straightforward, the word supply covers the delivery in the same way as it covers someone picking up logs.

I’m a previous life I spend hours and hours drawing up service agreements, processes, policies and the like to ensure it covered regulations - the wording is absolutely key to make sure there is no wiggle room or leave it open to interpretation.

12 hours ago, Gav73 said:

I’m interested in the definition of 2m3, does it state anywhere in the regulations how this is measured?
Is it a 2m3 Loose load? Or 2m3 stacked? Unless this is defined, then it can always be disputed by either side.

Sure I saw it say "loose tipped load".

But reading this it says loose stacked.....Not sure what that is as a stack is normally tight.

WOODSURE.CO.UK

Air quality | using cleaner fuels for domestic burning On Friday Defra announced their response on their cleaner domestic...

The official over 2m3 notice has been updated.

No mention that home meters will read 25% when its at the legislative 20% limit.

They have kept the two 2 year scare tactics statement.

Updated 26 March 2021

If you sell wood in volumes of 2 cubic metres or more in England you must provide customers with this notice:

“This wood is not suitable for burning until it has been dried. You should not burn wood until it has a moisture content of 20% or less.

“Wet wood contains moisture which creates smoke and harmful particulates when burnt. As well as being harmful to your health and the environment, this can damage your stove and chimney and is an inefficient way to heat your home. Dry it in a sunny, well-aired space for at least two years, keeping rain off in the winter.

“Radial cracks and bark that comes off easily suggests wood that is ready for burning. Test the wood when you think it is ready for burning, ideally with a moisture meter. First calibrate the meter and then measure a freshly split surface to get the best reading.”

This seems to imply that small producers might be exempt & that it might actually be ready to burn / it is dry even though you have to also give a note that says its not dry & must be dried for 2 years. Have they now removed small scale from the regs too? How small is small scale? Or is that just for the first year?

What you need to do to supply, distribute and sell wood for use in domestic heating appliances in England.

Crates or trailer loads of wood 

You do not need to get wood fuel sales of 2 cubic metres or more certified. You can include a note when you deliver the wood to explain it is dry.

Suppliers who sell wood in volumes of 2 cubic metres or more must provide customers with this notice that explains how to dry, store and check the moisture of the wood before it is used. This also applies to small-scale wood producers.

Edited by Justme

• 3 weeks later...

Hi just read all this all my logs are ready to burn just sold 3 cubic to a regular customer who has read all of this on government site and now he wonts them cheaper because he has to dry them which he doesn’t so all of this is very confusing for everyone 

may turn them into charcoal then it be 0 on the meter 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cob-logging said:

Hi just read all this all my logs are ready to burn just sold 3 cubic to a regular customer who has read all of this on government site and now he wonts them cheaper because he has to dry them which he doesn’t so all of this is very confusing for everyone 

may turn them into charcoal then it be 0 on the meter 

Amusing but charcoal conducts electricity so I have just tested a bit from my last stove fire a week ago, bone dry but reads 25% on the Valiant

• Like 1