The woodsure scheme, do we need it?

william petts

22 minutes ago, renewablejohn said:

I supply my customer when I allocate the 2 IBC containers I have in stock in the solar kiln to a specific customer. I then deliver whatever quantity the customer requests from that stock when they request it and more importantly how much they can handle to keep dry from that stock. As for unit each container is 1.2m3 loose fill if it was stacked it would be far less.

I understand what your saying and it may well come down to what your local enforcement bods say if and when they take action against anyone.

In your case I would consider what you deliver on one day a unit. In Woodworks case I would consider consider a unit delivered with two trips in one or even two days a unit but not spread over months. But that's just me.

I can see trading standards not doing much against the smaller companies for a number of years as they lack resources and if you keep in the spirit of the regs I would hope you'd just get a warning and advice rather than a fine.

I would take the opportunity to get as many of your customers to accept 2m cube or you may well have to sign up to the scheme in the years to come.

29 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I understand what your saying and it may well come down to what your local enforcement bods say if and when they take action against anyone.

In your case I would consider what you deliver on one day a unit. In Woodworks case I would consider consider a unit delivered with two trips in one or even two days a unit but not spread over months. But that's just me.

I can see trading standards not doing much against the smaller companies for a number of years as they lack resources and if you keep in the spirit of the regs I would hope you'd just get a warning and advice rather than a fine.

I would take the opportunity to get as many of your customers to accept 2m cube or you may well have to sign up to the scheme in the years to come.

But my customers do buy 2 IBC's at a time typically ordered and paid for in June but delivered between November and January any not used carried over to the following year. Obviously some take far more but the principle is the same of delivery just in time.

19 minutes ago, renewablejohn said:

But my customers do buy 2 IBC's at a time typically ordered and paid for in June but delivered between November and January any not used carried over to the following year. Obviously some take far more but the principle is the same of delivery just in time.

I understand and it sounds to me like a good scheme.

The problem with regards to the law as I see it is you're doing the seasoning so need to be in the Woodsure scheme. Otherwise, the law says, there's nothing stopping someone less scrupulous that you selling small amounts of unseasoned logs.

If the customer was doing the seasoning they'd need to cope with 2 cubic meters at a time. Not saying the law is right or sensible, but then what laws are?

2 hours ago, Woodsman1967 said:

so may well be able to meet the 20%

Yes but you would still need to be registered in HETAS's woodsure scheme to avoid a summary fine if caught.

The only get out seems to be to supply 2M3 of 20%mc  wood with the warning words that it might not be seasoned as that would be within the payload of a 3500kg MAM vehicle.

The use of the word "supply" in the regulations is interesting because it might mean someone giving me wood for burning in a domestic  fire may be in breach of them.

17 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Do you have to sell 2m3 or deliver 2m3?

I only sell about 15 loads a year so I'm certainly not registering, but I wondered if I could sell 2m3 and then look after half of them for my customer, until later in the year.

2m3 per delivery so no.

Any idea how  they actually plan to enforce it?

Going round with  with moisture metres stopping deliveries with under 2m3 in?

Most wood in winter outside will fail due to relative humidity RH so don't get it....

Suppose they will may just fail wood over 25% to allow for that?

Edited by Stere

5 minutes ago, Justme said:

2m3 per delivery so no.

But the legislation does not say delivery it says supply which could mean contracted to supply 2m3 but delivered in 2 x 1m3 drops maybe a month apart. If the customer has ordered and paid for 2m3 I cannot see why the customer is dictated to having the full 2m3 delivered all at once. Think the lawyers will have a field day with this.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, renewablejohn said:

Think the lawyers will have a field day with this.

We probably need a legal beagle to answer but it'll just need a test case in a suitable court and the law would be clarified.

I expect there are other laws where the question of does supply mean delivery has been sorted.