The woodsure scheme, do we need it?

william petts

10 minutes ago, renewablejohn said:

Where does it say in the legislation anything about delivering 2m3 at a time.

I had a chat with Woodsure a few weeks back. If we sell in excess of 2 cube we dont need to sign up so no costs. Just need to provide a note to the end customer on how to dry the un seasoned logs. Defra are going to be drafting up a suitable letter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, renewablejohn said:

Where does it say in the legislation anything about delivering 2m3 at a time.

PART 2 - Supply of wood in units less than two cubic metres

edited out loads of blurb....

PART 3 - Supply of wood in units of two cubic metres or more
Interpretation: Part 3

7.  In this Part, “relevant amount of wood” means an amount of wood to be supplied—

(a)for the purposes of combustion in domestic premises in England;

(b)in a unit, whether comprising one piece of wood or more, the volume of which is two cubic metres or more.
Prohibition on the supply of a relevant amount of wood without a notice

8.—(1) A person must not supply a relevant amount of wood unless the wood is accompanied by a notice comprising the words specified in Schedule 2.

(2) A person who contravenes the prohibition in paragraph (1) commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine.

Edited by Paul in the woods

It’s a load of toss, I have notified all my customers who 1 m3 loads (about 10% of customers) that I will no longer b doing loads under 2m3 and all bar one have said they’ll have 2 in the future. We now invoice all customers via email with a note to say may need further seasoning although mc is often at 20 it can b as high as 25

53 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

PART 2 - Supply of wood in units less than two cubic metres

edited out loads of blurb....

PART 3 - Supply of wood in units of two cubic metres or more
Interpretation: Part 3

7.  In this Part, “relevant amount of wood” means an amount of wood to be supplied—

(a)for the purposes of combustion in domestic premises in England;

(b)in a unit, whether comprising one piece of wood or more, the volume of which is two cubic metres or more.
Prohibition on the supply of a relevant amount of wood without a notice

8.—(1) A person must not supply a relevant amount of wood unless the wood is accompanied by a notice comprising the words specified in Schedule 2.

(2) A person who contravenes the prohibition in paragraph (1) commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine.

As I said it does not mention delivery of wood.

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

I had a chat with Woodsure a few weeks back. If we sell in excess of 2 cube we dont need to sign up so no costs. Just need to provide a note to the end customer on how to dry the un seasoned logs. Defra are going to be drafting up a suitable letter.

Just noticed the letter is in the law:

SCHEDULE 2

Form of words in respect of wood sold in volumes of two cubic metres or more

This wood is not suitable for burning until it has been dried. You should not burn wood until it has a moisture content of 20% or less.

Wet wood contains moisture which creates smoke and harmful particulates when burnt. As well as being harmful to your health and the environment, this can damage your stove and chimney and is an inefficient way to heat your home. Dry it in a sunny, well-aired space for at least two years, keeping rain off in the winter.

Radial cracks and bark that comes off easily suggests wood that is ready for burning. Test the wood when you think it is ready for burning, ideally with a moisture meter. First calibrate the meter and then measure a freshly split surface to get the best reading.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I'm not sure of your point? Does the word Supply not cover delivery? And the phrase Unit would mean 2 cubic meters in one go?

Snag is if you really are delivering fresh cut logs in loads in excess of 2 cube most pickups will be overloaded. Could argue you have to do 2 trips to stay within weight limits.

41 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I'm not sure of your point? Does the word Supply not cover delivery? And the phrase Unit would mean 2 cubic meters in one go?

I supply my customer when I allocate the 2 IBC containers I have in stock in the solar kiln to a specific customer. I then deliver whatever quantity the customer requests from that stock when they request it and more importantly how much they can handle to keep dry from that stock. As for unit each container is 1.2m3 loose fill if it was stacked it would be far less.

4 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Snag is if you really are delivering fresh cut logs in loads in excess of 2 cube most pickups will be overloaded. Could argue you have to do 2 trips to stay within weight limits.

Agreed . The more you look into it the more the whole scheme seems unworkable . The chances of being pulled over on the road and checked are minimal anyway . Most of my customers who can only store 1 metre at a time are happy enough to pay for 2 at a time and have them delivered seperately , the rest would just pay cash .

I'm probably at an advantage as I live in a drier part of the UK , sell mainly ash and season for 2 years so may well be able to meet the 20% moisture content anyway but with the added confusion of wet/dry basis moisture readings thrown in its just so confusing .