The woodsure scheme, do we need it?

william petts

Hi everyone I've been all over the show and admittedly havnt taken much notice of the woodsure scheme.

I believe it comes into force in england at the start of may?

Is it compulsory?

Has anyone applied to it?

If your like me producing seasoned logs in cages mostly outside and covered how can you reliably keep below 20% in winter even though you know and I know logs are dry in the centre 

If you import kiln dried logs or buy in from another woodsure supplier to sell on do you need to be woodsure accredited?

It just seems like a money making scheme, I'm going through a tough period with losing barn space etc 

Also it's not a main business more sideline for money over the winter.

Does anyone who sells logs need to be woodsure compliant?

I.e farmers son types and tree surgeons  aswell? 

Any help is most appreciated, just been reading the woodsure website and all it foes is waffle on about how you should burn dry wood as were wood gives out particles, 

Clearly there to scare customers/the public than actually help people like myself, the supplier.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, william petts said:

Hi everyone I've been all over the show and admittedly havnt taken much notice of the woodsure scheme.

I believe it comes into force in england at the start of may?

The Air Quality (Domestic Solid Fuels Standards) (England) Regulations 2020 part of the environment act comes into force May but there is an extension for small producers (<600m3/annum) till May next year

11 minutes ago, william petts said:

Is it compulsory?

There are exemptions but woodsure is the scheme appointed according to the regulations, a bit like CORGI were appointed for gas works and then lost the job to Gasafe.

• 2 weeks later...

I attended a meeting last week and HETAS/Woodsure are looking at the feasibility of a Group Scheme which would cost individual group members circa £60 per year...TBC.

Also, my understanding, if you deliver 2m3 or more you can simply issue an advice note to the customer...less and needs to be certified ("Ready to Burn" Scheme)

36 minutes ago, renewablejohn said:

It is nothing like CORGI. Its just a con by HETAS who own woodsure to extract money out of every log producer in England  unfortunately DEFRA have written it into law if you dont pay HETAS there ransom money of 365 quid per year the local authority can fine you for illegal trading.

Strikes me it's remarkably similar apart from a safety aspect,

• Like 1

Its a loud of rubbish. 

I delivered a load of logs a month ago to a customer been cut for a year dry as a bone, and went back last week and half the load had been chucked under hedge to keep dry in the weather we have at the moment. 

Just jobs for people with no idea and paper work for us to try and get around.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

I attended a meeting last week and HETAS/Woodsure are looking at the feasibility of a Group Scheme which would cost individual group members circa £60 per year...TBC.

Also, my understanding, if you deliver 2m3 or more you can simply issue an advice note to the customer...less and needs to be certified ("Ready to Burn" Scheme)

24 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Thankfully I have my own scheme that wiil not cost me a penny but will ensure my customers can still have logs delivered to them at guaranteed less than 20% moisture content. Certainly Hetas will not be getting a penny out of me.

Edited by renewablejohn

Where does it say in the legislation anything about delivering 2m3 at a time.

WWW.LEGISLATION.GOV.UK

These Regulations are made under section 87 of the Environment Act 1995 (c. 25). They make provision...

Edited by renewablejohn