Husky hedge cutter on aspen

miker

To be fair, Stihl and Husqvarna do recommend the use of their own proprietary Alkylate fuels (Motomix etc) which, last time I checked, was the same price as Aspen which is an equivalent fuel. So the "Do the manufacturers recommend it" comment is a little null and void. Of course they won't say "It makes our tools last longer" because it would be a PR headache but instead they say it increases all round performance which in laymans terms means the saw will last longer. Bit like Ford specification oil, you can buy it from a dealer for x amount or buy Castrol for the same/less. At the end of the day it's all the same stuff, Alkylate fuel and a fully synthetic oil. If you want to run mineral oil and bargain pump fuel then go ahead but my asthmatic lungs do seem to thank me for not using petrol. 

You can use whatever supplier you want but at least aspen has some voice in this community and when I asked them about oils, testing and proof they did back themselves up which I give them credit for. 

I suppose if Alkylate fuels were garbage then the German forest workers must buy new saws every could of hours..... 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 2

I read a test  paper that measured  emssions the results said the catalyst had more   effect on emssions but nobody mentions them apart from removing the cat to aid preformace.

So surely cats should be replaced regular if you really care about emissions above using aspen.

image.png.ebed2e90d035754f07c591c1567eb3e8.png

Edited by Stere

It's not just about the basic emissions though. It's more about the sulphur, benzine, aromatics etc, i.e the cancer causing headache chemicals that alkylate fuels don't have.

It's a bit like cigarettes Vs vaping. Neither are good for you and depending what you get they could have the same amount of nicotine. Vaping doesn't have all the other 300 carcinogenic chemicals in that cigarettes do! 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stere said:

I read a test  paper that measured  emssions the results said the catalyst had more   effect on emssions but nobody mentions them apart from removing the cat to aid preformace.

So surely cats should be replaced regular if you really care about emissions above using aspen.

image.png.ebed2e90d035754f07c591c1567eb3e8.png

THC is total hydrocarbons? and they are gaseous rather than particulates? It's a high figure but presumably includes oil flung off the bar?