Husky hedge cutter on aspen

miker

I had some issues with swap overs from petrol to Aspen in the past. My theory was that after years of running petrol, the Aspen somehow is purging the tank/fuel system and pulling the petrol residues through the carb - never proved 100% though.

The times this happened, I cleaned the carb, retuned and all was good and latterly recommended the owner running a couple of tanks of Aspen through before I replaced the rubber fuel parts.

Aspen is fine on new kit or kit that hasn't seen much use but on something a few years old and in regular use, swapping out the fuel lines and diaphragms is advised and if you get the sort of issues you have, just strip the carb, flush it out with carb cleaner then reassemble and tune.

It is well known that absence of petrol when using Aspen contracts and hardens the rubber causing fuel issues and fuel leaks. This is the LACK of petrol and NOT Aspen causing the issue.

It is also recommended to tune the L screw a little richer if swapping as you can get a throttle lag otherwise.

Some just change with no issues....it is a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world as The Kinks sang!

• Like 3

On 25/01/2021 at 21:50, miker said:

done 2 hours work

Hi Mike,

Unless you have some extremely potent pump fuel in your area it is very unlikely that 2 hours use on petrol would have been enough to cause damage to the diaphragm inside the carburetor to cause running problems on Aspen when making the switch. As others have already suggested, it sounds like it might be a good option to ask your local dealer who you purchased the machine from to take a look at it.

another thought however, you say its only seen 2 hours work but how long has the machine been left with pump fuel in the tank?

Feel free to give us a call if you have any technical questions regarding to Aspen fuel

01929 551557 (option 2)

Axel

• Like 3

17 hours ago, adw said:

Lets hope he doesnt get any of that extremely potent fuel then! Priceless.

Whats with the hate adw? i have noticed lots of negativity from yourself on lots of posts in regards to Aspen.

It is a well known fact that pump fuels contain different components in various quantities. they are blended to be as cheap as possible whilst simply meeting a certain set of standards to allow them to be sold at forecourts. Because of this, there is going to be a variance in the effects that these fuels have on carburetor parts.  This is what I meant when I used the word "potent". Hope, that clears things up 🙂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aspen@AAOIL said:

Whats with the hate adw? i have noticed lots of negativity from yourself on lots of posts in regards to Aspen.

It is a well known fact that pump fuels contain different components in various quantities. they are blended to be as cheap as possible whilst simply meeting a certain set of standards to allow them to be sold at forecourts. Because of this, there is going to be a variance in the effects that these fuels have on carburetor parts.  This is what I meant when I used the word "potent". Hope, that clears things up 🙂

Take my advice and not get in to this one! 

Just take it as another opinion!

Where in the operators manual does it say you must use Aspen or your machine machine will not last, your carb is going to block your diaphragms are not going to last? how many manufactures recommend the use of Aspen fuel? Husqvarna?Stihl? no because they produce there own fuel that they know the oil in it is what there machine requires, then we get onto the price of this stuff, it is completely beyond me how any person using a saw for a living could justify the cost, ive heard all the crap about working it into the price of the job, ridiculous, as for having to adjust the carb to run on it, what about emissions? you hammer on about how good it is for the environment but recommend richen the carb, higher fuel consumption higher emissions, as for any machine will run fine on it not true, we had plenty of Briggs engines and Honda engines that did not run well on it, we had 550xp seize on it and all you get is it cant be the fuel must be the saw and all the excuses that go with it.

On a side note what you did to Gary was shit. Over and out, don't want to comment on this again.

36 minutes ago, adw said:

Where in the operators manual does it say you must use Aspen or your machine machine will not last, your carb is going to block your diaphragms are not going to last? how many manufactures recommend the use of Aspen fuel? Husqvarna?Stihl? no because they produce there own fuel that they know the oil in it is what there machine requires, then we get onto the price of this stuff, it is completely beyond me how any person using a saw for a living could justify the cost, ive heard all the crap about working it into the price of the job, ridiculous, as for having to adjust the carb to run on it, what about emissions? you hammer on about how good it is for the environment but recommend richen the carb, higher fuel consumption higher emissions, as for any machine will run fine on it not true, we had plenty of Briggs engines and Honda engines that did not run well on it, we had 550xp seize on it and all you get is it cant be the fuel must be the saw and all the excuses that go with it.

On a side note what you did to Gary was shit. Over and out, don't want to comment on this again.

There are two sides to every story, but the10's of thousands of Aspen users who would never go back to using pump fuel, despite the price must surely represent the other side of the argument.
These are people with actual experience of the benefits.
And as for adjusting the carb, as I have said many times before, it does not always have to be done, and when it does need it, its only a slight tweak on the L screw. Even after this the emissions are still much, much less than petrol.
I have never had a Honda or Briggs that will not run on Aspen, and I am talking about thousands of machines.
Just putting the other side of the story ADW, no need for comment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1