Nptc certificate wait time

Cactusjack1993

On 27/01/2021 at 21:41, Khriss said:

Hope guy was filing his paperwork properly  or not dead, can you get intouch with him?  K

Hopefully will arrive next week Khriss. I noticed on the A5 piece of paper I got from my assessor it can take up to 25 working days. Not sure how that corresponds with Christmas etc will give it till next week and if no luck will give them a call

• Like 1

My recent certificate which was completed on 21st December, was received yesterday. Also, I believe they send the certificate to the person who paid for the course. So if your employer paid for your training, they will receive it. Just an idea.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Actually Im starting to think NPTC as an organisation is a farce.  did courses in April 2nd.  as yet still no certificates. now these courses are not cheap. the assessments are not cheap. The final bit is pitifully poor.   They dont answer the phone. then they have the total utter cheek to say if you dont tell them you have not received your certificates they will charge you another £25.

Ive done different courses this week. different mentality and service.  Had the 5 certificates already and info uploaded on government site within 24 hours.  at around 170 plus per assessment youd think youd get something within 10 weeks.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dumper said:

Nptc = cash generator for people who can’t do the job!!!!

I hear this nonsense quite a bit.

I have been a hand cutter on piece rate for nearly 30 years, I think I have got the hang of it and am pretty efficient by now.

I still keep my hand in on the Arb side too, as that’s where the real money is.

I became an NPTC Assessor/LANTRA Instructor about 9 years ago, mostly because I enjoy the teaching side and it gave my body a break from the fatigue of commercial Forestry.

In the UK I would do 85% Forestry on piece rate, 10% Instructing and 5% Assessing.

I can earn more per day cutting a chain of Sweet chestnut, I can earn more per day on tonnage in any decent stand of Hard/Softwood.

Any decent subby climber with their own kit can earn more per day than an Assessor.

I would love to know where this fabled cash generator gravy train is, because I have certainly never boarded it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 5thelement said:

I hear this nonsense quite a bit.

I have been a hand cutter on piece rate for nearly 30 years, I think I have got the hang of it and am pretty efficient by now.

I still keep my hand in on the Arb side too, as that’s where the real money is.

I became an NPTC Assessor/LANTRA Instructor about 9 years ago, mostly because I enjoy the teaching side and it gave my body a break from the fatigue of commercial Forestry.

In the UK I would do 85% Forestry on piece rate, 10% Instructing and 5% Assessing.

I can earn more per day cutting a chain of Sweet chestnut, I can earn more per day on tonnage in any decent stand of Hard/Softwood.

Any decent subby climber with their own kit can earn more per day than an Assessor.

I would love to know where this fabled cash generator gravy train is, because I have certainly never boarded it.

If the trainers were like you I would have no problem I genuinely feel that before you try to train you should have many years experience in the subject. I have just taken a tractor course we had to send the manual to the trainer so they could read it and tell us how to operate the tractor and for this service I got charged £525.00 

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, dumper said:

If the trainers were like you I would have no problem I genuinely feel that before you try to train you should have many years experience in the subject. I have just taken a tractor course we had to send the manual to the trainer so they could read it and tell us how to operate the tractor and for this service I got charged £525.00 

This is one of the issues that the Industry faces, varying quality and experience, the same as in many other aspects of the tree work industry. 

Many employers just book courses with the local agricultural college without doing any research, only to find out that the Instructor is a person from the last years Foundation Degree course, then complain about the poor quality after the event.

If I was asked to supply a training manual for my tractor, unless the tractor was very specific with unusual specifications, alarm bells would have been ringing.
I would have just used another trainer who knew their stuff rather than pay someone who didn’t.

Edited by 5thelement

When you do research you get told qualified instructors you then pay for the course then attend to find out your trainer is still wet behind the ears 

I did ask specifically for a trainer with crawler experience and was assured that they had plenty,alarm bells rang they morning of the day before when they asked for the manual they already had my money for two months course was a waste of time but gave us a piece of paper to satisfy the HSE

3 hours ago, dumper said:

When you do research you get told qualified instructors you then pay for the course then attend to find out your trainer is still wet behind the ears 

I did ask specifically for a trainer with crawler experience and was assured that they had plenty,alarm bells rang they morning of the day before when they asked for the manual they already had my money for two months course was a waste of time but gave us a piece of paper to satisfy the HSE

Was this training, refresher training or Assessment? 
Was it NPTC who did the training or some other training provider?