Air filter maintenance

CEE

Hi,

I am sorry this isn't about a chainsaw but I have had such great help on here in the past I think it's still the best place to ask.

I have a Husqvarna 122HD60 hedge trimmer.

It didnt run so well so was servicing it - cleaned out carb, reset L and H etc...

I also cleaned the air filter. it's a sponge one so I washed it very thoroughly and left it to dry on a radiator for 2 / 3 days. It was bone dry when I put it back on.

It pretty much fixed it but while I was doing it I noticed that with the air filter off it ran better than with the air filter on. Noticeably faster and more easy revving.

Is the air filter no good and need a new one? or is the answer - of course it runs better with the filter off what did you expect?

I am wondering what to do.

Cheers,

Not sure I get the thought process......the air filter will make the engine run a little richer as the filter acts like a partial choke, a very dirty one is like having the choke half on .

If you remove the air filter - the revs of the machine, when flat out, will normally rise a bit.

The better performance may just be down to getting a bit more flow in to the engine but if anything, it shows the machine is running a bit rich and taking off the air filter leans it down and this improves it.

Tuning the carb to the engine state is a good idea but it may just be carbon in the exhaust port, a coked up muffler or blocked spark arrester if fitted. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CEE said:

Hi,

I am sorry this isn't about a chainsaw but I have had such great help on here in the past I think it's still the best place to ask.

I have a Husqvarna 122HD60 hedge trimmer.

It didnt run so well so was servicing it - cleaned out carb, reset L and H etc...

I also cleaned the air filter. it's a sponge one so I washed it very thoroughly and left it to dry on a radiator for 2 / 3 days. It was bone dry when I put it back on.

It pretty much fixed it but while I was doing it I noticed that with the air filter off it ran better than with the air filter on. Noticeably faster and more easy revving.

Is the air filter no good and need a new one? or is the answer - of course it runs better with the filter off what did you expect?

I am wondering what to do.

Cheers,

If its just a sponge filter then get a new one and see how that is .

• Like 1