Next truck, last truck...

Ty Korrigan

On 24/01/2021 at 15:04, Khriss said:

Oddly, those DUKW were actually built fr a certain Man Who Says Yes, for fruit harvesting between the islands before the war, but like the DC3, a bloody good army toy in the right hands.  K

That's odd as the DUKW wasn't designed until 1942! 

• Like 2

Its got a straight eight Rolls Royce engine which my mate is having for his vintage fire truck, last time I ran the thing it guzzled about ten gallons of fuel in an hour hence the diesel conversion. There have been a few converted, I need to track one down to see what they did, saves reinventing the wheel. I will rattle you cage when its done , I want to launch it into a river at 40mph like the loons in the vid below, care to join me? [emoji4]

No wonder we win wars !!!! [emoji15]...[emoji7]...[emoji1306]
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rovers90 said:

I'm well aware of that, obviously Khriss isn't.

I always thought the name was dreamt up but the only time I went on one for a tour around Boston Ma and it's harbour the driver explained the code and I've just seen it is explained on wikipedia. It lurched quite a bit going into the water and it was several seconds before the driver was able to deselect wheel drive and engage the screw. Similarly getting out was a kerfuffle  I think there were several accidents subsequently and wonder if they are used for tours any more.

The mechanicals are ordinary 2.5 ton 6x4 truck and as you say it was designed and built in 42 onward very quickly from inception to use.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2021 at 15:04, Khriss said:

Oddly, those DUKW were actually built fr a certain Man Who Says Yes, for fruit harvesting between the islands before the war, but like the DC3, a bloody good army toy in the right hands.  K

I think you may be confusing this with the plywood Higgins boat that was subsequently adapted with a front gate/ramp as a landing craft, many were built here to the american design and one that was rebuilt for saving private ryan sits on a roundabout at Shoreham

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I always thought the name was dreamt up but the only time I went on one for a tour around Boston Ma and it's harbour the driver explained the code and I've just seen it is explained on wikipedia. It lurched quite a bit going into the water and it was several seconds before the driver was able to deselect wheel drive and engage the screw. Similarly getting out was a kerfuffle  I think there were several accidents subsequently and wonder if they are used for tours any more.

The mechanicals are ordinary 2.5 ton 6x4 truck and as you say it was designed and built in 42 onward very quickly from inception to use.

I went on a duck tour in London a number of years ago and after going through the city, crossed over Vauxhall Bridge and then there's a slipway down the side of the MI5 building, driver gets out and a boat captain gets in to take it on the Thames. Was very smooth and a great experience. 

When the DUKW was first demonstrated to the military, they were not interested. Then a few days before a further demonstration, there was a severe storm over Cape Cod and a Coast Guard vessel was aground on a sand bar. The surf and sea was way too rough for the Coast Guard rescue boats to launch so the three guys behind the DUKW design took it out a quarter of a mile offshore, rescued the 7 crew and were back on shore six minutes later!! Four days later 86 top ranking officials attended the trials and manufacture was confirmed!! the rest as they say is history.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Those DUKW were going to be partially remanufactured here in Tiverton Devon a few years ago as my mate works for the engineering company that was involved at the time (he has just fabricated a chip box for my MK7 Transit) but the deal went sour and i think the Devon company got stung financially.  I'll interrogate him some more about it this week.