LOLER

Matt swift-sewell

Only other thing I can think of is making up clear labels and then overcoating them with something like clear hot melt tape. I noticed a company called tough tags and that appears to be what they do. Its £15 for 44 of their tags which is tempting as it probably works out the same as my label printer and is less of a pain in the arse  

*Edit* it's £15 for 88 tags. Seem to be used by a lot of climbing companies/police/military etc. Might give them a go! 

Edited by Paddy1000111

One of the fundamental principles of LOLER is that each piece of kit has a unique ID number. It’s for traceability, and to determine you are retiring the correct piece when it’s expiry date has been reached, or if that piece of kit has become damaged.
In the case of equipment failure or injury an insurance company would want to make sure everything was in order.
Likewise, with a H&S audit.
I would think it’s pretty much the same as in aviation.

1 minute ago, TIMON said:

One of the fundamental principles of LOLER is that each piece of kit has a unique ID number. It’s for traceability, and to determine you are retiring the correct piece when it’s expiry date has been reached, or if that piece of kit has become damaged.
In the case of equipment failure or injury an insurance company would want to make sure everything was in order.
Likewise, with a H&S audit.
I would think it’s pretty much the same as in aviation.

Well everything is serialised so it's covered in that respect. Would just prefer to deal with a 2 or 3 digit number instead of a 14 digit code! 

Well everything is serialised so it's covered in that respect. Would just prefer to deal with a 2 or 3 digit number instead of a 14 digit code! 

Tell me about it! Especially with my deteriorating eyesight. DMM Karibiners come to mind.

4 minutes ago, TIMON said:

Tell me about it! Especially with my deteriorating eyesight. DMM Karibiners come to mind.

I've just ordered a pack of those tough tags. £16 delivered for 88 tags with name, number and an sequential ID on. I'll post up when they arrive and give some feedback!

https://www.toughtags.co.uk/climbing-tags/

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 1

I've just ordered a pack of those tough tags. £16 delivered for 88 tags with name, number and an sequential ID on. I'll post up when they arrive and give some feedback!

The thing to bear in mind with after market tags is, you have to be able to check beneath the tag for damage. That’s why painting over metal is a no-no. It could be concealing damage.

Would be good to get feedback on the tags though. [emoji106]

5 minutes ago, TIMON said:

The thing to bear in mind with after market tags is, you have to be able to check beneath the tag for damage. That’s why painting over metal is a no-no. It could be concealing damage.

Would be good to get feedback on the tags though. emoji106.png

That's true but I don't see any way around that. Only option is engraving of some sort but that damages the kit so it would have to be laser etching which wears off. I think the only bulletproof way is to have a recessed area from manufacture with a laser etched serial. I don't know why they don't do it already. Most carabiners for example have an I beam construction but they always laser etch on the external surfaces of the carabiner... DMM, CT, the lot! 

Edited by Paddy1000111

General rule of thumb for metal hardware (in the case of dents and scratches etc..) there should be no more than 10% loss of material in any one place.

I have seen and heard many different interpretations of this.

Personally, I have no issue with clients engraving a simple ID number on the twist gate cylinder of the Karibiner.

Again with rope, the small labels held in place by heat shrink tubing is ok.

The ‘what ifs’ and minutiae of inspecting PPE climbing kit can start to fry your brain if you let it..., it’s why we have professional indemnity insurance.

13 minutes ago, TIMON said:

General rule of thumb for metal hardware (in the case of dents and scratches etc..) there should be no more than 10% loss of material in any one place.

If have seen and heard many different interpretations of this.

Personally, I have no issue with clients engraving a simple ID number on the twist gate cylinder of the Karibiner.

Again with rope, the small labels held in place by heat shrink tubing is ok.

The ‘what ifs’ and minutiae of inspecting PPE climbing kit can start to fry your brain if you let it..., it’s why we have professional indemnity insurance.

The company that provided climbing training by me has had to stop engraving as the LOLER training said that appropriate methods of marking are: Carabiner – Lightly engraved preferably on a nonload bearing part (e.g. base of the gate on the carabiner) but only when approved by the manufacturer which it never is... DMM says "Do not mark or Alter" in their manuals. Which I agree is silly but if they say "You can engrave the carabiner to mark them" Someone will have at it with a dremel and a large router bit. 

Petzl allow it though: https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/FAQ/is-it-possible-to-engrave-a-carabiner-and-how-can-i-identify-a-metallic-product-when-its-serial-number-is-no-longer-decipherable

Edited by Paddy1000111

On 21/01/2021 at 15:21, Pete Mctree said:

Have you just passed your LOLER ticket or your climbing tickets?

If the original id has worn off, then I insist on the kit being remarked, with either the original one if practicable or a new one which can be cross referenced in records. The whole process is about traceability back to the manufacturer

I passed my climbing years ago it’s the LOLER course I’ve recently passed. 

• Like 1