LOLER

Matt swift-sewell

Get experience of as much gear as you can and familiarise yourself with it. I keep a folder with the dockets that come with karabiners, slings, ropes and pulleys so I have the info such as SWL, service life etc on hand if I need it. Make up a spreadsheet that you can use to record the inspection that works for you. Get your insurance in place and then advertise on the various forums to get your name out there. Message/email/call local firms to let them know what you are offering. Just be aware many will want their kit done last minute or tomorrow morning and will sometimes drop off a bag of wet crap and expect you to pass everything when you wouldn’t let your dog climb in it! Be open and honest with the client is often key to managing their expectations. Can be a useful sideline if you are moving away from climbing or just to supplement your income, especially if you can do four or more kits for one firm at one location

Always insist on a readable unique ID number. Also a date of manufacture/ first use for each piece of kit. This will save you hours of work.

Like Jay said, a lot of clients need it doing ‘yesterday’ in order to get their climbers onto sites, etc..

A willingness to work outside normal hours will sometimes give you the edge.

Good portable magnification and lighting equipment helps a lot.

If you can get the client to ‘sit in’ on the first inspection, this can be beneficial although not always possible.

29 minutes ago, TIMON said:

Always insist on a readable unique ID number.

Out of interest what do you mean by this? ID numbers on each bit of kit or a "kit number" on all of them? I've got my kit going in this weekend for it's first LOLER check as some bits are now expiring so nothing has ID numbers on it

2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Out of interest what do you mean by this? ID numbers on each bit of kit or a "kit number" on all of them? I've got my kit going in this weekend for it's first LOLER check as some bits are now expiring so nothing has ID numbers on it

Firms should have a database of all their kit and each piece of equipment should have its own ID number-similar to the PAT testing regime for electrical appliances. While lots of equipment comes with labels some doesn't so places I've worked have used a combination of engraving, stamping or tagging to ensure harder to keep track of bits like carabiners and pulleys etc don't get overlooked. Too easy for smaller items to either never get checked or tossed to the back of the pile when found to be defective, only to be picked up and used by the less observant next guy!

There's a few companies that supply various options for equipment tags such as little clamp on bands etc, could be worth some investigation if you could supply and fit them you'd be a one stop shop for LOLER requirements. 

Note I'm not an expert and have zero qualification to be offering LOLER advice, this is just what I've seen done in previous workplaces.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Darkslider said:

Firms should have a database of all their kit and each piece of equipment should have its own ID number-similar to the PAT testing regime for electrical appliances. While lots of equipment comes with labels some doesn't so places I've worked have used a combination of engraving, stamping or tagging to ensure harder to keep track of bits like carabiners and pulleys etc don't get overlooked. Too easy for smaller items to either never get checked or tossed to the back of the pile when found to be defective, only to be picked up and used by the less observant next guy!

There's a few companies that supply various options for equipment tags such as little clamp on bands etc, could be worth some investigation if you could supply and fit them you'd be a one stop shop for LOLER requirements. 

Note I'm not an expert and have zero qualification to be offering LOLER advice, this is just what I've seen done in previous workplaces.

Interesting. I have a label printer that can print heat shrink which should do most stuff. Maybe a label to mark the rest and painted over with some thick resin. I have all my stuff listed with description, Serial no.'s, dates entered service etc etc but I don't have things individually ID'd. I had to ID all my kit in aviation with a unique number and it was a pain in the arse! 

29 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Interesting. I have a label printer that can print heat shrink which should do most stuff. Maybe a label to mark the rest and painted over with some thick resin. I have all my stuff listed with description, Serial no.'s, dates entered service etc etc but I don't have things individually ID'd. I had to ID all my kit in aviation with a unique number and it was a pain in the arse! 

That's probably a better bet, I imagine it would be a whole new can of worms if a carabiner failed and it was found to have been modified by engraving or stamping. But then a heat shrink label could be hiding cracks or damage too so who knows? You can find fault with anything if you think for long enough 🤣

You're right on the pain in the arse, my last place after an HSE consultant visited attempted to adhere to the PUWER, LOLER and Ladder Association regulations by the book, and it effectively created another full time job role with all the extra admin paperwork and inspections. There's probably a balance to be struck somewhere.

Edited by Darkslider

19 hours ago, Matt swift-sewell said:

Hi guys I’m wanting to start up Doing LOLER inspections on the side of being a full time climber. Any advice on where to start would be great as I’ve never set anything up like this before as I’ve just passed my exams. 

Have you just passed your LOLER ticket or your climbing tickets?

If the original id has worn off, then I insist on the kit being remarked, with either the original one if practicable or a new one which can be cross referenced in records. The whole process is about traceability back to the manufacturer